Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 Stroker no Start

878 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Hey guys
i got a 1997 Stroker all stock, wont start! let me start at the beginning, had the computer replaced put roughly 400 miles on it and then bad luck struck again truck shut off and wouldnt start so i grabbed the computer and seen i didnt have a RPM reading so i replaced the Crank sensor(Ford OE) and truck started and ran like a top for about 8 miles and shut off so hauled it back to the shop and no crank reading so i thought maybe i got a bad one(crank sensor) so i thought in the morning i'll change it, next morning i hit the key and it fires up pulled it in the shop and it died replaced the sensor fires up and runs but perty much a repeat! i looked over the wiring harness and i dont see anything that would say its the problem but it seems when it sits awhile it will fire up and run for any where from 5-15 mins and quit! any ideas..1997 F-350 7.3L PSD all stock! thanks, James

#3 ·
ok guys an update!
got a CPS from International(1876736C91 International Crankshaft Position Sensor(CPS) Grey) started right up and ran perfect for 10-15mins then it started getting a erratic rpm signal after the truck runs for roughly 10-15mins..now i'm digging into my wiring harness and see if i have a wire rubbed thru! does anyone know is the CPS a 5V sensor and if so where is the 5V resistor that converts it from 12V to 5V? thank you.

the Grey OE ones after the 10-15mins it would take them out so the International one seems to be a better CPS..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.