Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stalling

Ok,so my 1996 ford powerstroke is giving me issues stalling,its been a increasing problem over the last 5 months,i will go to start it up and it will start up just fine and die a sec or two after,then i can do it again and have it happen again,even if i give it throttle it still dies,there is times where it wont do this at all,to me it seemed to have gotten worse after a fuel filter change,i have had new glow plugs put in,they work great,all fluids are up to par,after the truck sits a few minutes after i have tried to start it then it usually fires rite up,this all started after my alternator went out on me,i was 1 hr away from home and drove it like that with it burned out to my home,i don't know if that has anything to do with this problem or not but i figured id throw it out there,there isn't any trouble with it going down the rd,it has no boggy issues and it has plenty of power no sluggish that i have noticed anyway,i have changed the cps once about 9 months ago because it was running rough that cured that problem,im wondering if maybe my fuel pump is going bad,someone told me to drain water from the fuel there on the filter housing,i did that but it didn't help it,if anyone could help me i would really appreciate it,im stumped bad,also there is no check engine light on and no codes other than the keep alive code which i cleared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check to see what your fuel pressure is. Also check ALL of your wiring. When something fries on these it can take alot with it. Drain the fuel bowl, pull the filter and see what it looks like in there. It could possibly be all clogged up and causing your issues. Also when was your last oil change? Just a few questions to get this diagnosis started.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My last oil change was 2 weeks ago,i haven checked wiring yet nor fuel pressure,ill go check those things,how would i go about checking fuel pressure at home with out taking it to a shop,i don't have a full diagnostic tool?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same simptoms just a few days ago. Replaced the cam position sensor and all was well. Cheap fix too, $24.00.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is a shraeder valve on the fuel bowl, looks like a tire valve stem, check fuel pressure there, I dont think fuel is the problem since when it is running you have no problems.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like a bad CPS to me.
What are you using to pull codes? A lot of the generic code readers won't pull anything on these trucks.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I used my edge chip hahah i need something better for code pullin for sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Today when i started it up it started rite up again like it should,it ran for 5 mnutes and i herd it try to die while i was in the house,i started heading for work and it was cutting out on me this time,i drove it home and parked it again,had the wife take me to work,im going to try the CPS and see what happens there,i hope that cures it i am going nuts with out my truck here
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok i switched out the CPS and it seems to have fixed it i think,it died out one time on the first start up after the CPS was replaced but fired up good the 2nd time and has been running good so far,ill have to see in the morning if it fires rite up or not,thanks to all of you for the help,ill keep ya posted.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found the problem on this truck,it was a wire i taped up that had come untaped and was touching the metal fuel line on and off,it is fixed now and is running great,thanks to all for the advice and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.