Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crank but will not start.

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  takenreality 
#1 ·
My 97 had the stock hpop in it and then it broke all the bearings in the pump and started spitting oil everywhere. So i ordered a pump for an 03 7.3 a few months later after saving some money and after i installed it the truck will not start. when i changed the pump i also changed the lift pump, glow plugs, IPR valve, and installed a 1.00 turbine housing and the diamond eye 4" dual exhaust kit. i have changed the cps, tested all the wiring harnesses, and i cracked an oil line from the pump to see if there was oil pressure and there was. And its filling up the fuel bowl like it should. I have had both batteries tested and they tested good and fully charged. the only error code i get is a p0603 but i have read that its because i have a programmer in it. I do get a wait to start light and all the fuses are good. Could it be because its been sitting for a couple months and all the air in the lines need to be bled out after the new pump?

#3 ·
i have probably cranked it over for 45 min that time including letting the starter cool down. i cant see any white smoke because it was dark but i could smell it when i walked back there. I will try taking the tuner out and cranking it.

#5 ·
ya the tach does move and i will try to get a fuel pressure tester this weekend. i also have noticed that it makes a weird clicking noise about every three seconds when i crank it over from under the hood.

#6 ·
well I got new starter cause the old one went out and i also got new batteries. when it cranks now it tries to start but it still wont. I was getting white smoke out of the exhaust pipes and now it turned from white to a blackish color. i am getting a wts light and the tach does move, could it be the air trying to bled out and because its cold is why its taking so long to start? it is trying more and more to start the more i crank on it.

#7 ·
I am getting 55 to 60lbs of fuel pressure while I am cranking it.

#8 ·
well i finally got her to run, i think it was just air in the system, she was running rough at the first start but it is getting better and better, thanks for the help.

#10 ·
I had the same problem a few months ago. When I pulled the sensor on the driver side head high pressure oil valley (ICP?) some air came out and she started within a few minutes. Job needed a "crow's foot" which isn't easy to find around here. It is frustrating after fixing the known issue then not receiving the reward of the labor.

Today my 1997 7.3 wouldn't start. Plugged in all night, 30˙ when I first started cranking her over. After half an hour decided to clean the battery terminals, they were OK but not clean. Polished up both batteries and she started up instantly, reward accepted!

These trucks have lots of measures to protect themselves. Seems like most are at startup. Hope this helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.