Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine problems

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dannj 
#1 ·
This is gonna be a long post but i hope some of you guys will bear with me because i need advice BAD.

A month or two ago i was driving around and all of a sudden my truck died while going 60. I coasted to a stop while releasing and pushing in the clutch to try and restart. (before that my truck would sometimes not start at gas stations and had no lights on the dash but would eventual start and drive off fine) So here i am with a dead truck on the road the truck had overheated witch was peculiar to me so i just let it cool down and waited for my freind to come give me a jump. a cop showed up and gave me a jump and the truck started right up. Being an idiot, i accidentantly stalled the motor while trying to drive off. and there i was waiting for another jump. When my freind showed up with cables, this time it wouldnt start.

I was like wtf? so i got him to hook his truck up to mine so i could try and roll start it. It would not start.

I had it towed to the shop which did my lift and put my turbo on(bad idea) So they said well your idms blown and your pcm needs to be rebuilt. And i was like how can both of these go at once and just had him fix them both. Now after the truck being in there for well over a month hes telling me i need a new injection pump(which im still having trouble fimnding out what he means by injection pump and i think he means HPOP) a fuel pressure regulator and new "programing" for the Injectionb Pump.

What is going on here??? i dont think this guy knows what hes talking about. How can i be sure my IDM and PCM where even bad in the first place?

PLEASE HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would ask the guy if he got it running and if so what parts he replaced to get it to run. If it's still not running then don't pay for a part that didn't fix the problem. If he's had it for more than a month then he's obviously struggling. We don't make customers pay for a part that made no difference or didn't fix the problem so you shouldn't have to pay either for his lack of knowledge or misdiagnosis.

I don't see what he means by replacing the FPR. If he is getting a crazy or low fuel pressure reading then it will be your fuel pump aka lift pump etc. By injection pump im sure he means fuel pump. I don't see why you'd need a new tune if you didn't have a tune on there before. If it's all stock then there's no reason to be upgrading without your knowledge and needing a tune.

Then again for some reason diesels make people completely change their meanings and terminology since they think it's a whole new world and need to think different too. Get some more info from the guy and let us know what he says.

#3 ·
You would be correct in thinking the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. There is no injection pump, and no programming for anything except the PCM.

If it's cranking and not starting, there are three initial questions:
* Do you get the WTS light?
* Does the tach move when you crank it?
* Any white smoke?

#9 ·
Not counting the "v" in the part number, that would be a "late" OBS HPOP (what year is your truck)? You might ask him how he determined it was the HPOP (they don't fail that much) and not something else. Here's a link to the "HPOP Diagnostic Guide", so that you can be more informed when you talk to him. Cheers!

#10 ·
i cant say hes entirely wrong because mine went bad in my truck when i first bought it. ask him how he diagnosed it to be that pump and not the IPR that controls it. i actually put the scanner on my truck and held it just before redline for a few seconds and watched the oil pressure bleed down to 1800 psi and the truck sounded horrible.

#12 ·
yeaaa if hes right thats clearly not enough. ask him if he tried replacing the ipr valve before you got throwin $600 at it spend the 180 on the valve and either way youre gonna replace it. Im not saying it couldnt be your HPOP im just tryin to save you some cash. personally i would swap the IPR and try

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.