Engine problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Engine problems

This is gonna be a long post but i hope some of you guys will bear with me because i need advice BAD.

A month or two ago i was driving around and all of a sudden my truck died while going 60. I coasted to a stop while releasing and pushing in the clutch to try and restart. (before that my truck would sometimes not start at gas stations and had no lights on the dash but would eventual start and drive off fine) So here i am with a dead truck on the road the truck had overheated witch was peculiar to me so i just let it cool down and waited for my freind to come give me a jump. a cop showed up and gave me a jump and the truck started right up. Being an idiot, i accidentantly stalled the motor while trying to drive off. and there i was waiting for another jump. When my freind showed up with cables, this time it wouldnt start.

I was like wtf? so i got him to hook his truck up to mine so i could try and roll start it. It would not start.

I had it towed to the shop which did my lift and put my turbo on(bad idea) So they said well your idms blown and your pcm needs to be rebuilt. And i was like how can both of these go at once and just had him fix them both. Now after the truck being in there for well over a month hes telling me i need a new injection pump(which im still having trouble fimnding out what he means by injection pump and i think he means HPOP) a fuel pressure regulator and new "programing" for the Injectionb Pump.

What is going on here??? i dont think this guy knows what hes talking about. How can i be sure my IDM and PCM where even bad in the first place?

PLEASE HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would ask the guy if he got it running and if so what parts he replaced to get it to run. If it's still not running then don't pay for a part that didn't fix the problem. If he's had it for more than a month then he's obviously struggling. We don't make customers pay for a part that made no difference or didn't fix the problem so you shouldn't have to pay either for his lack of knowledge or misdiagnosis.

I don't see what he means by replacing the FPR. If he is getting a crazy or low fuel pressure reading then it will be your fuel pump aka lift pump etc. By injection pump im sure he means fuel pump. I don't see why you'd need a new tune if you didn't have a tune on there before. If it's all stock then there's no reason to be upgrading without your knowledge and needing a tune.

Then again for some reason diesels make people completely change their meanings and terminology since they think it's a whole new world and need to think different too. Get some more info from the guy and let us know what he says.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 AM

You would be correct in thinking the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. There is no injection pump, and no programming for anything except the PCM.

If it's cranking and not starting, there are three initial questions:
* Do you get the WTS light?
* Does the tach move when you crank it?
* Any white smoke?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM

is it possible for the HPOP to just fail all of a sudden because im very sure he means the HPOP when he says Injection pump because he says its a $900 Part
Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it is possible they fail but have you done any tests yourself before the mechanic got his hands on it?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 AM

I didnt get a chance to diagnose, what should i do?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-350CC7.3 View Post
I didnt get a chance to diagnose, what should i do?

honestly idk because the mechanic already has it, i personallyld have tried to diagnose myself before a mechanic got his hand on it. im sorry im no help at this point.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM

He says i need F6tz9va543arm

Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Not counting the "v" in the part number, that would be a "late" OBS HPOP (what year is your truck)? You might ask him how he determined it was the HPOP (they don't fail that much) and not something else. Here's a link to the "HPOP Diagnostic Guide", so that you can be more informed when you talk to him. Cheers!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i cant say hes entirely wrong because mine went bad in my truck when i first bought it. ask him how he diagnosed it to be that pump and not the IPR that controls it. i actually put the scanner on my truck and held it just before redline for a few seconds and watched the oil pressure bleed down to 1800 psi and the truck sounded horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.