Intercooler installed, somethings not right? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler installed, somethings not right?

Hey guys so a couple weeks ago I installed the banks techni cooler kit on my 97 psd 5spd and it feels like something is not right. If I stomp on it in second and continue full throttle through the gears until fourth it feels like its sputtering. After putting the intercooler on my boost has gone from about 23 to around 16 and just feels kinda like a turd. Now with that being said on the free way doing 70 and flooring it, the truck gets up and goes WAY faster than before it was intercooled so I have noticed the unit did help significantly on the free way. Now while installing the intercooler I did cut through the main ground from one battery to the block would this affect performance in any way? It still starts up fine and I have no known electrical issues, I have a new cable but have had no time to replace it. Any knowledge or two sense would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Adding an intercooler will increase the air volume your turbo has to fill before any noticeable boost can be made. You are experiencing increased turbo lag. The reason you don't notice it on the interstate as you have mentioned, is because the turbo is already spooled and your air charge is relatively cool with all the air moving over the intercooler. Step up to a smaller ratio compressor housing to return to or improve upon your factory turbo response.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Adding an intercooler will increase the air volume your turbo has to fill before any noticeable boost can be made. You are experiencing increased turbo lag. The reason you don't notice it on the interstate as you have mentioned, is because the turbo is already spooled and your air charge is relatively cool with all the air moving over the intercooler. Step up to a smaller ratio compressor housing to return to or improve upon your factory turbo response.
Should I do the 1.00 or 0.84 housing? Also are the housing that alligator performance sells okay compared to the banks quick turbo? They are almost half the price...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
I hate to intervene on this since you have been here awhile and probably know more than me, but why would him going through 2 gears and having sputtering, have anything to do with turbo lag?

I know turbo lag and it would be increased but only a very little bit...maybe half a second tops?

Seems like the op might have something else going on.

To the OP, it is typical to lose a little boost with an intercooler. When you cool something that is under pressure, it will lose a little bit of that pressure. I don't think 7 psi is good though. A decend ic will usually drop the boost by 1 or 2 psi. Might have a boost leak at one of the new connectors?

I would fix that cable. Might not be your problem, but you are over straining the bat that is still hooked up.

Hope i dont piss anyone off!!! Trying to do this respectably.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM

Just read this
White/grey smoke at full throttle?

This is you too right?
Might have something to do with what you have going on in this thread...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbostang500 View Post
Just read this
White/grey smoke at full throttle?

This is you too right?
Might have something to do with what you have going on in this thread...
That is a good point, I do need to check my connections for a boost leak maybe a coupling isnt tightened all the way or something. My hpop in my mind is okay because before the intercooler I was able to one time reach a max boost of 27psi with just a ts chip, intake, and exhaust which made me conclude it would be kind of difficult to achieve that amount of boost with a dieing oil pump. Hopefully after checking a cleaning the fpr screen as well as checking for boost leak it will be running better
Old 02-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Hopefully but keep us posted.

Oh and CHANGE that bat cable!!!! Lol
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM

On the other hand though im kinda thinking now I probably dont have a boost leak because at highway speeds(65mph+) it gets it pretty dang good and feels as if its running proper. But hey who knows maybe I only think it is running proper because maybe I do have a boost leak and just haven't experienced the inter cooler properly yet.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM

That kinda sounds more like a fuel delivery problem (frp screen) to me.
short high throttle runs wont drain the fuel bowl but longer runs like 2nd through 4th
will demand more fuel longer which could show a delivery problem.
this is only guessing though because a fuel problem normally would have existed before the intercooler install.
how long has the ic been on??? Dont remember if you happened to say.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i might not be any help but to me it sounds like a fuel problem. when you are at WOT on the highway is the boost staying steady psi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.