Finally got her to start when cold! Simple fix! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Finally got her to start when cold! Simple fix!

I have a '95 7.3 PSD and since I got it, she has always been hard to start when it was below 50*. I looked at everything and replaced parts. I was at my wits end and everything was pointing to bad injectors. I bought the truck cheap and have since doubled the money spent on it.

I looked at everything and have been trying to find someone with a tester that will do a buzz test. I still want to do that and maybe some programing, but that is later. If anyone has one they could part with, I might be interested.

I was looking up youtube videos for the powerstrokes just to try and get any ideas and ran across a video where a guy was changing his HPOP oil. I know that the oil is supposed to cycle with the motor oil, but got thinking of "what if the orifice is plugged?"

So, I pulled the plug off the HPOP and the oil was blacker and thicker than I have ever seen an oil before. I used a vacuum pump pump, sucked out the old oil (which took about 30" of vacume!) and finally got it drained.

When I refilled, I also included 1/2 bottle of sea foam (love that stuff). Started the truck and let her run for about 1/2 hour.

I then drained it again. Oil sucked out a lot easier but was just as black as before. So I did the sea foam again and filled it again. I decided that I would leave the sea foam in and change this oil again when I do the engine oil which is coming up in the near future.

So, it was a cold night for us in southern New Mexico at 30*. Truck sat overnight and it is very humid and foggy this morning so itr felt colder than 30. Went out to the truck, cycled the glow plugs 3 times, and she started the first go. She also sounded better that she ever has on a cold start since I bought her.

Also, she was drivable after just 5 minutes of idle (without being plugged in) where as before it would take 20 - 30 minutes before she would throttle up. Before, even being plugged in it would take 5 minutes before she was drivable

I just wanted to post this to say that the oil should change itself but don't always trust that it's going to. This $30 repair saved me hundreds and it may do the same for someone else. Hope it helps spomeone else.

By the way, it also helped the throttle response and performance. Can't wait to see if it helps with mileage also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Good info. sounds like po didn't know what a preventive maintenance program was.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dieselman View Post
Good info. sounds like po didn't know what a preventive maintenance program was.
I don't think so. I have been working out ALOT of bugs on this truck and the wife is getting tired of how much it is costing.
I just keep tinkering and I will get it running right
Old 02-13-2012, 09:22 AM

Iv been thinking about doing that just for the heck of it.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM

I'd be leery of the Seafoam in the sensitive injectors, but on a truck acting funny really have nothing to lose. I reckon I will change the HPOP oil too. Ive seen debates on it, and it really can't hurt anything, so why not.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The main reason why I did the sea foam was to try and loosen up the sludge and try to get the system to act the way it should. Maybe free up the passage so it chages the oil the way it should.
I'm getting close to doing an oil change on the motor and I'll change the HPOP oil again but this time not use the sea foam.
It's almost amazing how much doing this has changed the performance of the truck. I know sea foam could be risky, but it has seemed to pay off.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I don't see where it would hurt anything, it's not like the seafoam is going through the extremely close tolerance end of the injectors (fuel side) but at the same time I wouldn't leave it in there more than a couple of hundred miles. I have used a qt of atf added to the oil on neglected engines to clean them up.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dieselman View Post
I don't see where it would hurt anything, it's not like the seafoam is going through the extremely close tolerance end of the injectors (fuel side) but at the same time I wouldn't leave it in there more than a couple of hundred miles. I have used a qt of atf added to the oil on neglected engines to clean them up.
Wouldn't recomend Seafoaming the crankcase on these engines for an extended period of time.
Aside from potential injector issues, keep in mind that the turbo uses c.c. oil to lubricate the bearings. At WOT these turbos can turn >20k rpms. A solvent is the last thing you want in those bearings.

Glad things worked out for the O.P.
Make sure you get that oil changed out ASAP.

Last edited by backwoodsboy; 02-14-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsboy View Post
Wouldn't recomend Seafoaming the crankcase on these engines.
Aside from potential injector issues, keep in mind that the turbo uses c.c. oil to lubricate the bearings. At WOT these turbos can turn >20k rpms. A solvent is the last thing you want in those bearings.

Glad things worked out for the O.P.
Make sure you get that oil changed out ASAP.
I did keep in mind that the engine oil does lubricate a variety of things on these engines and that is why I used only a half bottle for each application.

The sea foam botles are 16 oz. so I only used 8 oz for this maintenance clean up. I did try and think about all the dangers of doing this. With the injectors, it will only be seeing the pressure side of them and I don't intend on leaving the SF in the oil for an extended periods of time. I am thinking I might change out the HPOP oil by weeks end just so the sea foam doesn't just sit there and fester in the injectors. It is still in the air as far as how long I am going to leave it in there. The truck is not a daily driver either, I guess I should point that out. I spend more time riding the motorcycle than I do in the truck

The sea foam is a higher concentration in the HPOP with only being added to 1 qt of motor oil. This is a given fact.. But, if the system does start to work on its own due to this cleaning and changes the oil out in the HPOP as it should, that 8 oz. wont even start to delute the 4 gallons of motor oil that is in the crankcase. I dont see a lot of dangers with such a small amout of SF in the oil.

Considering I think (pretty certain) the previous owned didn't believe in preventive maintenance, I'm sure the motor has seen a lot worse. I think it's a pitty how this motor was treated but all I can try to do is get her right now. The last thing I want to do is mess something up with trying to do just that. I do appreciate everyones advice and comments. Keep 'em coming.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM

I'd reckon changing the oil out sooner rather than later would be a good idea. Products like seafoam thin oil out, and allow it to foam. Foamy oil in a HEUI system allow air in the injectors, which is never a good thing. Like I said earlier, this also spells trouble for turbo longevity. If you're going to use seafoam, pour it in, let the truck idle for 20min or so, and then do a complete oil change.
Dajain, plenty of guys have run seafoam through the fuel bowl after changing the filter. It lubricates better than straight diesel, so no worries there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.