Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 7.3 Smoke at Startup

21K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dannj 
#1 ·
Hello all...
First post here, this place sure seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

So throughout this winter I have really noticed some blue smoke at start up on my truck. To me it doesn't smell like oil burning, if you stand buy the tail pipe long enough it will make your eyes water and throat itchy. I haven't known oil to do that. Im thinking possible leaking injector o rings leaking fuel or oil into the cylinders when sitting. However I don't find any fuel in the oil pan so maby thats not the case.
As the engine comes up to operating temp while idleing the smoke will clear a bit and after driving for about 30 seconds the smoke will be gone and the exhaust will smell normal.
The engine is a reman from 07 with about 60K on it, I would hope its not an injector issue this early on.
Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My first thought is you're sniffing the exhaust for too long :rofl:

My truck does the same thing. If it's blue then it is most likely oil. It's hard to smell burning oil in diesels....or at least I think it's tough to smell it. It could be the injector o-rings or turbo seals going out etc....

Is your truck leaking anything? Is there any fuel or oil in the valley?

IMO a little bit of blue smoke isn't a thing to worry about. Make sure the oil level is fine and that it doesn't over heat and your engine will last quite a while. :thumb:

#4 ·
White95f250;
My thoughts exactly;)
You hit on another problem, last weekend I noticed a little puddle of fuel on the ground under the truck after driving a few miles. Traced back and there is fuel sitting in the valley. Didn't investigate further than that.
However I did take the y pipe off and noticed an oily residue in the compressor side, guess turbo seals are on the list too. I have parked to truck for now until I can get all that sorted out. Where would you recommend I get seals and o ring from? A ford dealer? Aftermarket?

Dannj;
I do not plug it in, with 2 glow plug cycles it will take right off. I let it warm up for about 10 min when its below 35 or so. A few weeks ago I did try plugging it in to see if it would help and it didn't seem to do much.

#5 ·
i wouldnt worry too much about a lil smoke, mine does it after it sits all night and then it is fine. as far as oil in the intake goes, check your PCV mine was blowing oil into the intake and leaving the same oily residue. I have bypassed it all and have had no oil since then.

#10 ·
pcv ccv its the same idea just check the hose if its blowing oil into the intake. than cap the intake tube port and run a rubber line to a catch can or whatever ya choose.

dont feel bad i bought my truck and so far in 6 months had to do, Hpop,starter,fuel pump,fix a tonnnnn of cut wiring. it will all be worth it in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.