Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Replaced glow plug controller, NO START!!

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nightofstars 
#1 ·
Please help!! 1996 7.3 F250. No mods. I recently replaced my glow plugs, UVCH's, and glow plug controller. Also did a fuel bowl rebuild while I was under the hood-all new gaskets, orings, etc. Here's the problem: put everything back together and now my truck won't even turn over. The electrical is going crazy! Looks like I have the GPC wired correctly but when I turn the ignition on, the dash lights flicker like crazy (wait-to-start/check engine) and the inside buzzer even sounds funny. When I try to start the truck, everything goes dead for a few seconds, then back to crazy. The GPC is clicking sporadically and the relay/fuse box under the hood is clicking FAST. Sounds like something's gonna blow! I did wash down the motor 2 days ago. Maybe got some electrical stuff wet? Whatever it is, I can't get the motor to turn over. Once the starter engages, the electrical goes dead, then goes crazy. Any ideas??

#2 ·
Check your batteries and all connections.

Low voltage can cause your truck to go nuts. Water in the power distribution box can too.

#4 ·
Have the batteries load tested independent from each other (all cable disconnected from both). If one battery is bad, replace them both. My brother-in-law's truck had very similar symptoms when one battery shorted internally. Cheers!

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Batteries tested good. Both are less than a year old. Looks like water in the power distribution box. Will it dry out over time? Should I leave the batteries disconnected?

#6 ·
Blow everything out with compressed air and let it dry overnight. Then see what happens.
Pull the relays out in the distribution box and make sure there is no water bridging the relay contacts.

#10 ·
My '95 F250 Powerstroke had issues very similar even 'after' the electrical gaskets were replaced, the glow plus, synchronizer, relay... all electrical going off in the middle of traffic, dead, absolutely dead. Diodes went out so no more cruise control, speedometer went out, a lot of different strange things.

it turned out to be, wierd enough, the fuel heater pad on the bottom of the fuel filter housing or something like that, was shorting everything out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.