need help before I get robbed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help before I get robbed

last week while driving down the road to get fuel my 1996 f250 7.3 turbo diesel truck all of a sudden started running rough and lost almost all power,limped it back home barely running changed fuel filter no change,took it to mechanic who said it was injector harness,so now week later he installs it,same issue says he ran buzz test now he says idm must be bad and that I would have had to change harness anyway because it was what probaly made idm go bad.He had a genesis scan tool,I'm begginning to believe he is out of his element will the injectors buzz with a bad idm and do both these parts go bad at same time,I'm not a rich man and can't afford to trial and error,personally I don't think he should have changed something without finding out for sure if it was bad any ideas on what this problem could be,truck will crank just acts like it is running on 4 cylinders no power at all.thanks in advance for any help,it will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

very well could be the idm
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM

On my '01 a UVCH went out (shorted under the cover) and took the IDM with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys,I'm new to working on diesels,would a bad uvch be obvious when looking at it.Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the guy is a crook he seems nice enough,just not sure if he is a diesel mechanic or bit off more than he could handle.trial and error can get expensive.

Last edited by bigl61; 02-10-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Unplug one side of the uvch and then the other side and see if anything happens. How low on fuel were you when all this happened? It would suck if you just had air in the lines.....but anyways does he know what to listen or check for during the buzz test? These things have wires that short out all the time so just bare with us on diagnosis. Wiggle things around and give everything a very close visual inspection.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I unplugged one plug on passenger side and nothing changed thats when he said it was injector harness so he changed it today,wasn't there when he did buzz test will find out tommorrow about it,one tank was really low but I had already switched to other tank which had several gallons in it and driven about 10 miles, when this happened I was on my way to fuel up which I went ahead and did because I thought it was running out of fuel,How can I tell if it has air in lines,that would suck after spending all this money but it would also be a relief not to spend anymore and a lesson learned.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up thanks for all the help

ty for all the help guys,turns out it was a bad IDM,I know now they quit without warning lol.Just out of curiosity truck would run just on 4 cylinders,I changed the cam sensor 3 times yesterday before I got a new IDM with cam sensors from advance,o'reilly,and napa truck would not fire period each time I put the old one back in,It would start no one can seem to explain this not even the mechanics I talked too,I've read allways keep one handy but my truck don't seem to like new ones,thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.