Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Started Running rough on the way home today. Help!

2K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  White95f250 
#1 ·
Thanks in advance for any info, you guys on here are awesome. Here's the deal. I have a 95 F350 PSD with 150,00. I just had the tranny completely rebuilt and got it back a couple days ago.
On my way home today at about 70 mph it started vibrating and felt like it was missing? slowed down and it the vibration lessened. it idle'd fine but then started to shake on acceleration again, but not every time? Go figure. No lights came on.
when I got home pulled the oil cap to smell for burning wires and no smell. checked the connectors at the valve covers and they look ok. local parts store just ordered me a new CPS today. (Parts are harder to get here in Hawaii).
I did just realise i have a fuel leak near the fuel bowl i need to find and fix but other than that nothing that I know of is wrong. Could a fuel leak cause that?
Or my greater fear is that i got screwed by the tranny shop. could it be the tranny.
Is there any thing I left out?
Any Idea's?
Thanks again Guys!

#2 ·
I totally forgot this. The day I got the truck back it would make a low pitch whistling noise that sounded like it was coming from around the fire wall. The noise comes and goes. Giving throttle does effect the noise. Usually makes the noise at idle and giving it throttle makes it go away. Haven't had time to take it back in to the tranny shop. Also the 2nd to 3rd shift still seems very premature..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
What are you doing in Hawaii? Which island? When I was in Oahu I noticed there weren't many diesels nor were there very many experienced mechanics when it came to diesels. I have the same issue you have....I get a random shake when driving at a low rpm and I get a premature 2nd to 3rd shift. I still am unsure what it is causing it but I know my trans is in need of some tlc.

As for the low pitch whistling you sure you're not hearing your turbo? Make sure your down pipe is on there snug and that nothing is loose.

#4 ·
I'm on Oahu. I've always lived in Hawaii. Originally from the Big island.
Your right, I have not been able to find a good diesel mechanic on Oahu to save my life. The big island has a couple but there are allot more diesels over there.
The noise is not the turbo. It sounds like something rubbing and the friction is creating the noise. It's like a low pitch squeal.

#6 ·
Hate to say it but i've seen the auto tranny's flexplate break around the bolts and it's caused a bad vibration and squeaking/squealing. It's also made clunking sounds too. I would have the transmission shop check it out and see if they installed everything right. Without checking it out myself and hearing it make it's a tough one to pinpoint.

#9 ·
So the trans shop is telling me that the trans is "perfect". He herd the noise felt the vibration and says that its not the trans even though it wasnt doing it before they had the truck. local parts store has a flex plate in stock for cheap. how long should it take me to drop the trans and replace the flex plate? I do 95 % of my own work.. but im not a pro.

#10 ·
If it's a 2wd it won't take you long. 4wd is a different story. Seems like every trans we have to drop in the shop is a 4wd.

Again i'd have to hear and feel this vibration and noise to accurately tell you what it is. I say if you're willing to drop the money then do flex plate and torque converter while it's out. Did they replace the front pump on the trans too?

#11 ·
Nope they didn't. They did replace the torque converter already though. Already picked up the new flex plate a couple hours ago. And unfortunately it's only 2WD. You think I should replace the front trams pump as well?
I wish I could record and play the noise some how. Maybe I can record it and put it on YouTube? It only makes the noise when it's moving at low speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.