cold start issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold start issues

I read a bunch of recent cold start posts here and think they might be relevant but my symptoms differ a little than others so I am making a new post.

The my truck is a real B to start in under 40 degrees and when it does get going it is light on power and lots of white smoke until the block gets warm. Also, I have a TW 6 pos chip and on my typical setting (street race) it will dump black smoke if I coast then get into the throttle a bit, when I set it down to economy it is not nearly as bad of an issue. Once it is good and hot it runs good though it does smoke a little more in the colder temps even after the block is warm compared to when it is warmer than 40 degrees out.

I just replaced my relay with a stancor (old stock one was dead) and all new glow plugs(old one seemed OK after I tested them once removed but half were showing bad when tested in the truck, turns out one wasn’t even plugged in). Also replaced both batteries thinking that all this would solve my starting issue without needing to plug in at temps under 40 but didn’t do the trick… the truck does sound different now when I turn it over cold so I think I am making progress, also it starts better at 40 and at 20 I can get it started if I crank for 20 minutes and cycle glow plugs where before it wouldn’t come close.

I am pretty sure my fuel bowl heater is out as I popped the bowl lid after cranking and cycling for 15 minutes at 20 degrees and the fuel was about as thick as latex paint and the fuel bowl was cold to the touch. I need to check the fuel bowl heater to see if it is working but after reading a few posts here the HPOP or injectors may be failing or even the starter. The truck runs great and starts great in any temp over 40 or 50 and gets between 15-20 mpg. No shudder or loss of power on startup unless it is cold. Could the fuel bowl heater be my only issue? The exhast smoke at different temps makes me think it is a fuel temp issue but I am a total amateur. Looking for input. Thanks, Donny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds about like what my trucks doing. so im also interested in what ppl have to say on this.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM

There was a member who recently replaced their started and said it was a whole new animal when starting in cold temperatures. It was a night and day difference and helped BIG time.

Some people just have to keep their trucks plugged in at all times just to make cold starts that much easier.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response. Not ready to put a new starter, sticks or HPOP in as I only have the cold start issues when I head out of town and the truck is an occasional driver. I will keep chipping away at it and see what solves the problem, int eh mean time I will keep the 100' extension cord in the truck.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Full A-Team Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you cycle the glow plugs, how long do you wait to crank?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will cycle the glow plugs for 2 minutes, reset then another 2 minutes then turn it over, some times just 2 min sometimes 3 sets of 2 min +/-. I have a lot of opportunity to mix it up when it is under 20 degrees. The last time I tried I wen for 30 minutes then gave up and plugged in. Lots of white smoke!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM

you say your fuel was thick when cold?? I'd say that's your problem. Get some diesel 911 in there to start it then get some winter fuel and maybe thin your current tank with a gallon or 2 of kerosene
Old 02-14-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyH View Post
I will cycle the glow plugs for 2 minutes, reset then another 2 minutes then turn it over, some times just 2 min sometimes 3 sets of 2 min +/-. I have a lot of opportunity to mix it up when it is under 20 degrees. The last time I tried I wen for 30 minutes then gave up and plugged in. Lots of white smoke!
If you're running mutliple 2 minute GP cycles, chances are you're running the batteries down to the point where they're having trouble turning over the starter.
Even in 10* I'll give my truck 60-90 seconds max and then try turning it over. 9 times out of 10 this is all it takes, and I've got 2 burnt out plugs that I'm aware of.
Definitely get that fuel bowl heater taken care of. Even with a perfectly functioning GP system, batteries, and starter thick fuel will kill you at cold start.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

In 10 degrees you shouldn't need that fuel bowl heater because your fuel shouldn't be gelled at that point. I keep a jar of fuel with me so I can always see if there's a chance of gelling when it's really cold and I've never gotten it to with winter fuel and power service even 10 below 0.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo63 View Post
you say your fuel was thick when cold?? I'd say that's your problem. Get some diesel 911 in there to start it then get some winter fuel and maybe thin your current tank with a gallon or 2 of kerosene
+1; Nowadays, diesel should never look that thick. The fuel bowl heater was designed in at a time in history when fuel quality was not nearly as good as it is today. Good winter fuel plus an anti-gel like PS white-bottle should keep this from happening in the first place. 911 should take care of the current sitch. Maybe because it's an occasional driver, it's still running on summer fuel?

Problem with recommissioning the fuel bowl heater is that it's the thing that can fry out, taking fuse #22 with it, thus disabling the PCM.

And +1 on the GPs; the full 2 minutes is for post-start warm-up. It shouldn't take anywhere near that much to start it, no matter how cold. We just did a cold start last Saturday AM, <10F, a mile from the nearest electrical outlet, gave 'er 30, maybe 40 seconds on the GPs, a few extra seconds on the starter and she lit right up, albeit with a romp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.