Rough idle sounds like a cam lope!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough idle sounds like a cam lope!!!!

I am new to this site and this is my first post/thread, but I need help I have a 96 Powerstroke 4x4 auto. I've owned the truck about 3 months now and need some info. My truck EVERY TIME you crank it cold or not it lopes like its got a serious cam and will not smooth out until you press the fuel peddle. Most of the time I get in press the peddle a 1/8 of the way down and it cranks like normal. But if I don't it will lope every time until you press the peddle and hold it for like 3 or 4 sec. Any ideas . I've done had to replace the cam sensor, fuel pump, cleaned fuel lines, oil sensor, temp sensor, and fuel filter twice by Ford place. The lady at the Ford place where I live said it was my injectors and I had 2 putting out low. But me and my mechanic who's a 60 year old retired diesel mechanic says that if it was injectors it wouldn't smooth out by just giving it a little fuel. He said something about a fuel pressure regulator sensor, but I don't want to start replacing things that is not needed. Any ideas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it do the same thing if you start it in neutral (try it and see next time you start it under the same conditions). Cheers!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Every time no matter in neutral or not. Column bushing are gone, so I have to put it neutral sometimes to start it.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM

The #8 injector fires right after #6, which depletes the high pressure oil rail. Read up on the HEUI system and you'll understand.
More than likely, it's a HPO issue. Maybe fuel, but probably not. Either the HPOP is very weak, or something else, like ICP or IPR. If could be the UVCH, the wires going to the injectors, but if it's smooth other than the starts it's probably not.
Mine does this under pretty cold conditions, but not all the time. Yours just sounds really weak.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What sounds really weak??? The HPOP or what?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM

The HPOP probably. But it could be something else associated with the HPO system like the IPR or ICP. I'm just giving you options, they have to be checked out.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wouldn't it show up under a diagnostics test when they hooked it show up in a code or something if it was HPO related?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Eh maybe. Who though? Ford?
Btw, which injectors did they 'say' were bad?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ford did the diagnostics. Didn't say which injector and they also said I needed to replace glow plugs, pig tails, and two injectors which comes in at $1520.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM

Ford dealership will RAPPPEEEEEE you. If you get any parts go to the International dealer or your local parts store. I bet you the lady at the front desk doesn't deal with these trucks often if at all.

As for your loping at start up it is pretty common with these trucks at this age. Mine does the same thing and it's my DD. I know it needs work but you have nothing to worry about. Do the basics such as UVCH, glow plugs, gpr, valve cover gaskets, check your fuel pressure, replace fuel bowl o-rings, change oil, and check all of your wiring. This is a small start and with the proper diagnostics you wont be blowing money at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.