Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2002 F-350 7.3L wont crank, start, run HELP!!!!

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Rc51rulz 
#1 ·
Ok... bear with me, but I hope that this is an easy one for your guys. I'm driving home from work, my normal 16 miles. 13 miles to the off ramp, and my sweet assed 2002 F-350 limited edition, DRW 7.3L diesel truck is blasting down the road as always. I get off the freeway, and slow to the light for my left turn. All of the sudden she starts running rough. Like a top fuel dragster with a NICE cam. So It's a rockin. I pull to the side, and let it run to see whats going on. I give it some throttle, and it complains as if its flooded. 2-3 minutes go by, and I decide to go to a gas station to get some fuel additive for anti-gelling, as its 20 degrees in Ohio now. I figure that even though I have 3/4 of a tank of fuel, it might be gelling. I get about a mile from the station and it stalls. I try 3-4 times to restart, and it does, but it's running rough. I limp it to the station, and let it run while I purchase the chemicals. I dump it into the tank, and fill up the tank to FULL. I'm thinking that its a cold condition. I let it run 5-6 minutes, and it seems to clear. I go toward home and about 2 miles go by, and its losing power, and chugging again. Now it's over. stalls, and it takes 5-6 cranks to get it to start, and its running VERY rough. I go the last 3 miles about 600-700 FT. at a time. all the while cranking 6-7-8-9 times to start. I got pushed the last 500 ft. because the batteries are DEAD....
I pulled the fuel filter in the bowl, and it looks crappy. There's a white snotty substance in the bottom of the bowl. I drained it, and changed the filter. I turned the key, and the bowl refilled in the time it took to exit the truck, and climb the ladder to see inside. A little slow???
I've recharged the batteries, and now it doesn't even crank, just a click, and nothing. The wts light comes on. The gages cycles with the key. but when I try to start, just a click.
Is this a fuse???
This seems to be definately fuel related. I find it hard to believe that the filter will solve the problem, because it should have taken days for it to stop because of a dirty filter. Fuel pump????
Can anyone help??? first I need to get it to crank again, it did yesterday, then I need to see if its getting fuel. I dont have a clue where to start....
Please help!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
well the click when you try to start the truck might be the starter soleniod and i would look into the fuel pump on the running ruff part

#3 ·
Charged the batteries, they are a year old. Replaced the starter and selenoid (on the starter), and it cranked for 4-5 seconds 3 times.... Now I just got a click, and nothing. The fuel pump fills the bowl when i turn the key. WTS light, and all the gages seem to work just fine... I'm still just trying to get it to crank, so that I can find oiut whats up with the fuel. I am L O S T !!!!!! It cranked all the way till i ran the batteries dead. There was a HEAVY burnt electrical type smell that night, under the hood. The starter was locked up and needed replaced. The overdrive off light on the shifter was flashing when the truck died. I don't have a check engine light either. Is there another selenoid? where is it located? how can i check it? Any help would be appreciated!!!!
thank you all so much in advance!!!!!

#4 ·
There is a solenoid on the passenger side fender. If you jump the two big terminals with the key on and it starts then it's that solenoid.
There is a neutral safety switch, and maybe that's it. That would explain the flashing OD light.
On my truck, one fuel pump cycle will almost perfectly fill the fuel bowl. So that's normal.

#6 ·
Yes.
You're in the 94-98 section, so yours is different.
I googled.
"Not on an 02 and later truck. The starter relay is there on 99-01 trucks, but for 02 models, Ford completely changed the electrical system, moving the starter relay to the under-dash fuse/relay panel. The under-hood power distribution box also was eliminated at the same time.

Most likely NOT the starter relay. Find the starter relay, pull it out of the socket and probe the trigger circuit terminal with a voltmeter. You should get 12 V when you turn the key to start. If yhou con't, then it's the shifter postion or ignition switch. If you do get 12 V in start postition, then swap the relay with another one and see what happens.

But the first thing I'd do it remove the battery clamps and clean them up spotless with a terminal brush, then reinstall. While you have them off, check for corrosion on the cable under the insulation.

Battery checking needs to be done with them disconnected from each other. A good battery can mask a bad battery."

#7 ·
There's a little mess under the terminals. I'll clean 'em up. It should still crank tho. I'm stumped as to why the starter worked 4 times for 4-5 second bursts, then I get a dead assed click!!!!!! I also don't seem to be able to get any codes from my reader. That would really help. still don't know what I'm going to do once I get it to crank, as I don't expect it to start after that, because the prick sputtered to a stop last week!!!!! I love the truck, but I'm really getting dis-appointed in it. I rechecked the fuses, and tried to start it in neutral. nothing....
I gotta get a professional....

#9 ·
I've tracked it down to my ignition switch!!!!! I'm going to have to replace it. It seems that if I engage it several times, one of those times it will crank, and run jusrt fine. Can anyone direct me to a good thread for replacement of an ignition switch???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.