No power pulling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down No power pulling

I have a 97 powerstroke that has 173,000 miles on it, I have owned it for 5 years and 98,500miles. The only mods are a straight piped exhaust and hypertech programmer that I put on it was bone stock when I bought it from the original owner and always had been. The problem I am having is it has no power it seems pulling a fairly decent load (4500lbs roughly) it just doesnt have the power on hills or in a head wind. I have done a fuel pressure test at idle and full throttle no load and it was a constant 55lbs, replaced the cps with the new one from the dealer under warranty and replaced the passenger side valve cover harness and plugs along with glowplugs still need to do the drivers side. I also noticed when driving it just kind of flattens out at 2200rpm and doesn't want to pull afterwards where it used to just pull hard until 3000rpm. It started about a year ago one day it started died and then when you turned the key on the glow plug relay would click on and off and it didnt want to start afterwards it was fine but then started a couple months later acting up. The symptons for the valve cover harness was that it stuttered and jerked when you would get on it no load and run like crap, after the harness last month it quit doing the stuttering but now it does it again just not as noticable. Things I have done in the last two months are oil change and filter, fuel filter and cleaned fuel bowl under the filter, air filter and passenger harness and glow plugs. I have also removed the programmer with no difference, I dont get a cel and dont have access to a scan tool. I used to get smoke at full throttle after the programmer but it never smokes now and it reaks of diesel fuel when idling like tonight I let it warm up like always and you couldnt stand to be near it outside by the back with the fumes. I did used to also get blue smoke at start up but not anymore but do still notice a light blow by but nothing bad if you pull the valve cover cap off you can see a light haze but it wont blow the cap off and you barely feel it with your hand. I dont know where to go from here but I am ready to give up and buy a cummins so please help me out. I have also been told it could be a bad injector any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also forgot I have developed an oil leak sometime in the last 6 months (time between oil changes) that has alot of oil on the rear half of the oil pan and the flywheel inspection cover I have not had a chance to look at that but since it doesnt get drove all that much anymore I just check the oil once a week it is hard to say how much it is losing but not a great deal
Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you still hear any turbo whistle when you're getting on it? The RPM it's dropping dead on is where the turbo should really be kicking in.

The oil leak is possibly from your turbo pedestal. Mine is currently leaking now, it's not good and needs to be fixed soon.

Did you change out the fuel lines on the fuel bowl when you cleaned everything out? You should have done the O-rings too. If you haven't taken the whole fuel bowl out and cleaned it then I recommend you do. Your fpr screen could possibly be clogged up too.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ok lets start with the basics. Auto or manual? what gears do you have? Also is the area behind your turbo black and soot covered? may have an up pipe leak not allowing the turbo to light. You said it would smoke before and now it wont. Meaning a lack of available fuel. As White95 said check the secondary FPR filter and the screen as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I still hear the turbo whistle but it has a different exhaust tone than it used to it is kind of weird to describe but it is more of a throaty roar than the high pitched whistle it always had especially at idle. The fuel bowl I just opened the drain cleaned it out good with a clean rag and new diesel and repeated until it was clean and put in a new filter I have not removed it, I forgot I did have a fuel leak so I replaced the screw in sensor on the side of the bowl to fix that but I cant remember the name of it. The truck is a 2wd 5speed with 3.55 gears and stock tire size. There is no soot anywhere besides the tail pipe I checked all that I also checked all the hoses where the turbo connects to the intake and motor. I did also notice that I seem to hear the turbo more under the hood than I used to but have no luck finding an air leak anywhere.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Is your EBPV sticking??
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No on the ebpv it works correctly still. I just pulled the intake hose off between the airbox and the turbo and the fins are bent and torn, their is oil on the inlet hose pretty bad and the nut is beat up that holds the compressor wheel on the turbo. I have no clue how this happened when the truck has had a stock airbox/wix filter and prefilter all of its life and never been in really dusty conditions but now my concern is where the pieces went that came off of the fins and how much did it hurt the motor chewing them up, also what is causing the oil to be on the inlet off the turbo
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

The oil is no big deal. Cause of the ccv dumping into the intake. Sounds like the bearing went in the turbo and it walked around in there
Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess my big question is it worth fixing and what type of life does this thing have left as far as lifespan goes. The issues to be fixed include a turbo rebuild, 4 new glow plugs still, drivers side injector harness and figure out the oil leak. I would be willing to do it if my truck would be back 100% but dont want to spend that time and money just to have it blow a month later
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

the rest of the motor? there are tons of guys here who are 400k plus without any issues. I wouldnt be the least bit scared to slap a new turbo on it and go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.