Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Won't start. Help please

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff W 
#1 ·
Hi folks. New here and to diesels. Just bought a 94' F350 w/ 7.3 international w/ manual fuel pump.
Drove it for a couple of weeks with no problems and when I changed the oil and restarted, it ran for a couple of minutes and died.
None of the instrument cluster lights up now and the tach does not move when turning over. All the other lights on the truck work fine.
I have been unable to find any blown fuses either. Fuel filter is full of fuel and pumping good but it is not getting fuel to the injectors. This is about to drive me batty. Help please.

Thanks

#3 ·
so its non powerstroke? whats the injection pump doing?

#4 ·
I was told it was powerstroke. :dunno:

Nothing is working from what I can tell. I broke loose one of the fuel lines coming from the injector and got no fuel but it pumps out good at the filter.

It's like I have no power to anything but it turns over fine. The block heater is working also.

#5 ·
If it has an injection pump and fuel line going to each cylinder its not a Power Stroke. It's an IDI 7.3. Is the fuel filter on yours mounted on the firewall? Which side of the filter are you getting fuel, inlet or outlet? As far as electrical goes....start simple. Check the none toons at the battery and make sure they are clean and tight. Check your grounds including the engine to body grounds and the battery grounds to make sure they are clean and tight. Use a test light and check all of your fuses under the hood and under the dash. If I remember right the fuel shut off solonoid on those have to have 12 volts applied to allow fuel to flow through the pump. Try to find a wiring diagram too if possible. It will help you trace the circuits to see which fuses control what.

#6 ·
Thanks. I was lead to believe it was a power stroke.

The fuel filter is on a bracket on the front passenger side of the motor.

I'm getting fuel spraying out of the schrader valve and the filter is full.

All the battery connections are good and clean with new batteries.

I haven't checked the fuse panels with a light yet though.

Do I need to post this over in the 7.3 IDI forum?

#7 ·
94's came in various flavors: 7.3 IDI (non-turbo), 7.3 IDI Turbo, and 7.3 DIT (Direct Injection Turbo, aka Powerstroke). The Powerstroke was not available with an automatic transmission in 94. The eighth didgit of the VIN will be an "F" for a Powerstroke, a "K" for a Turbo IDI and an "M" (I think) for a non-turbo IDI. I would post this over in the IDI section as those folks may have seen this problem many times before and can get you going in the right direction. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.