Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What could cause 97 HPOP draining?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  andyselec@aol.com 
#1 ·
I have a 97 freszh rebuilt engine that won't start. Has started maybe 3 times over 15 minutes of trying over several days. I think my problem is the HPOP is draining to fast . It will drainback all the way over night . From my research it says that a 97 doesn't have a check valve but a stand pipe so what could cause it to drain?

Thanks in advance

Andy

#2 ·
So, it drains on its own with no cranking? Or, is it draining aftercranking? Did whomever rebuilt the motor use your 97 front cover? Cheers!

#3 ·
Good morning Patrick,
Turns out my engine was shot we went with a .030 over factory rebuild kit. I'm starting to wonder weather it was a good shop . Kit came with a lpop but the engine sat for a couple months and i don't know if he be lube it but I think the lpop is bad because I filled the hpop yesterday and it started for a couple of seconds but then died and the hpop was empty again. I assume the lpop is not filling the hpop correct?
Looks like replacing the lpop isn't that hard. Do u have to drain the oil?
Factory pump is cheaper than Advance which is better?

Thanks
andy

#4 ·
I'd go with the factory pump if you're going to eplace it. I think it's fairly straightforward and you'll have to remove the Crank Damper (and probably the fan/clutch, radiator, etc.). I imagine you'll also need to drain oil and coolant. Cheers!

#5 ·
Well you were correct fan needed to come out and it made it easy by pulling the radiator. Really starting to question the shop I used they put the pump in backwards slightly scorch the engine cover. I hate going back somewhere and telling them they our me $400 in parts for an error on their part . I got them a factory overhaul kit and the instruction's had a special page about the way the oil pump needed to face.
I guess that is why I turn my own wrenches. I'll keep you posted.

thanks
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.