Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

sounds like its firing on half cylinders.

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Patrick Feeley 
#1 ·
the other morning i was driving home from work. truck acted like it was running out of fuel so i switched tanks. never cleared up and shut off along the road. fuel filter light came on. got a ride to the local parts shop and bought new fuel filter, diesel additive, and 10 gallon diesel fuel. drained fuel bowl, replaced filter and filled bowl with fresh fuel and a little additive. put 5 gallon in rear tank that acted like it was empty. nothing happened. time went on and finally did what you shouldnt, puffed a tad bit of ether on the intake filter. fired up and idled fine for about a minute and then shut off. next, we hooked the front of my truck to the back of my buddies and he pulled me down the road. put my truck in 5th with the clutch out and it fired after about 25 seconds towing me. ran fine for about a mile and shut off. turned key and it cranked and fired up. flew to fuel station and filled both tanks with additive and fresh fuel. ran great all that day and the next. now, it sounds like its firing on half the cylinders and the check engine light is on. funny thing is, it will clear up out of no where and run great, no noise, no problems. then, act up again. took tw chip out of computer. replaced cam pos sensor. im out of ideas.

injectors bad from running dry?
idm bad?
fuel pump dying?
please help. this is my only vehicle and its leaving me sit.
if you feel you know the problems solution, please feel free to call me, 301-707-1021 and talk about it. i work 3rd shift so anytime is fine.
thanks, snydermotive

See less See more
#2 ·
Check your oil level first. Check the fuel pressure while cranking at the schraeder valve on the fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side of the fuel bowl (should be at least 40). Check all your valvecover connections for evidence of burning/melting. Remove the oil cap and take a sniff. If it smells like burned electrical insulation, you probably have some bad Under ValveCover Harnesses (UVCHs). Maybe remove the IDM and see if you can detect water inside it. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.