1995 F250 PSD: Investigated a minor oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 F250 PSD w/automatic: Investigated a minor oil leak

Yesterday, I spent quite a bit of time going over my new-to-me 1995 F250 PSD (71,000 miles) looking for the source of a relatively minor oil leak. What I'm seeing is a drip coming from the inspection cover between the engine and transmission. It appeared to be coming down onto the starter mounting block, then down the edge of the inspection cover, then down the outside of the cover, finally dripping off of the weep hole (or whatever it's called). It smells like just oil..... not a mix of diesel/oil. The leak results in a spot on the ground overnight that is maybe 2"-3" in diameter. Not much, but I don't like leaks!

I looked all over the valley area, finding it very dry. No indication of anything having run out of the rear of the valley. Inspected the valve covers and found the gasket areas to be very clean/dry also. I went under the truck and saw that the starter was pretty grimy from the oil that had gotten on it. I removed the starter and cleaned it up. Then, I took the inspection cover off of the transmission. There was "some" oil inside the cover, but mostly a small collection of oil/dirt/grime. On the inside of the cover, it looks like a small drip has been coming from the rear main seal area, but it didn't seem to be wet with oil.... just a dry trace where I could tell it had leaked in the past. I inspected the inside of the bell housing and found it to be very clean; no indication of any slinging of oil. I did a lot of cleaning around the oil pan, starter mount, etc. Once it was clean, checked the oil pan bolts for tightness. They were pretty snug, couldn't get much more than maybe 1/8th of a turn more tightness on any of them. Then, I watched for awhile (engine not running) and could see a very small trace of oil coming from the passenger-side rear corner of the oil pan/block area. I looked as best as I could to see if there was any oil coming from anything above that entire area, but couldn't find anything. Otherwise, the only other thing I found was possibly a tiny weeping of oil around the fitting where the oil dip stick tube goes into the oil pan. Due to the caution I've seen in a video recently about making darned sure that the fitting doesn't get dropped into the inside of the oil pan, I might let my local Ford dealer replace that O-ring.

After all of this inspection, this appears to be the only area of concern on the entire truck.

I know this was pretty long-winded, but after giving all of this detail, do any of you guys have any experience with this area? Suggestions?

Last edited by nra1ifer; 01-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you happen to check the High Pressure Oil Rail End Plugs on the ends of each head? They are about 1.5" - 2" in diameter with a 1/2" square drive recess. Also check around the turbo pedestal and Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) actuator rod where it exits the cylinder on the pedestal. Cheers!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Did you happen to check the High Pressure Oil Rail End Plugs on the ends of each head? They are about 1.5" - 2" in diameter with a 1/2" square drive recess. Also check around the turbo pedestal and Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) actuator rod where it exits the cylinder on the pedestal. Cheers!
Seems like I remember checking those end plugs, but I can't swear that I checked the driver's side. I know I did the passenger's side. I'll look again, and check the other 2 items.

Thanks....

Last edited by nra1ifer; 01-02-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Checked those areas, didn't find any leaks. My best guess is the oil pan/rear main area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.