Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rough Idle and Smoke on Startup?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  jhavard 
#1 ·
This happens every morning before I go to work. I replaced the UVC harness, VC gaskets, pigtails, GPR, Glowplugs, and checked the fuel pressure at the shrader valve (50 to 60 psi). It runs real rough till it gets warm and blue/grey smokes pretty consistantly till the needle comes up off the bottom of the temp gauge. After its warm, it still seems to be running rich, hazing a bit at idle and the MPG's on this thing are retarded. It also seems to randomly fall on its faceand I cant replicate it at any given time. Anybody have any suggestions other than the glow plug system. I'm new to the PSD, so please take it easy. Thanks in advance guys.

#3 ·
the smoke at start up it normal but the rest i couldnt tell ya

#4 ·
Yea I figured alittle was normal, but it seems kinda excessive. Lets say for example that the motor is wore slap out, why would it run and idle great after its warm. Also, my MPG's are basicly non existent to say the least, like 8mpg mixed driving, I dont tow and I dont dog it. Could I be having injector or HPOP problems?

#7 ·
you most likely have a weak injector. i have had the same porblem twice now. i have the snap on modis scanner so it was easy to find because all you have to do is cut out a cylinder to find which one is not putting out. so if u can get a hold of a scanner with cylinder or injector cut out you can cut out each cylinder untill you find the one. hope this helps.

#11 ·
Have you had any loss of motor oil? Injector o rings being bad will allow high pressure oil to be forced into the fuel rail. But I'm thinking that if the injectors are original or at least have 100k on them, that a bad injector will most likely be your problem. Warm oil as well as cold oil will mask or accentuate a certain condition. In your case, when the oil heats up it can make a bad injector appear normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.