PO344 code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PO344 code

hey everyone, im driving my 95 psd and all of a sudden the truck is running a little funny and i hear a loud popping.. i pull over and pop the hood and it almost sounds as if the exhaust is leaking into the intake. it was a loud pop for every rotation. the truck was still running so i decided to try and make it home...a few mins later the popping stopped but the truck was still running funny. a rougher then normal idle and didn't have the response that it should. i pulled the code and it was a po344 cam position sensor cmp circuit intermittent error. at first i thought i broke something or bent a valve or sprung a huge exhaust leak cause thats what it sounded like...but it went away so i know thats not the case.. has anyone ever had this happen...? im gonna get a new cps to see if that takes care of it....but i still dont understand the popping.

the mods i have...
bts stage 1 injectors
bts 5 pos chip
dieslsite fuel system
banks intercooler
bts tranny

any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I just had a truck that had a p0344 code in it yesterday. If I ran a KOEO test it kept logging me a code p1219 for cylinder ID fault. I checked the CPS and it had just been replaced. Checked CPS wiring, nothing found. Replaced IDM and code went inactive. I did not have the same symptoms as you. The customer just said the truck would have intermittent low power, rough idle and check engine light.

You can start with returning it to stock and seeing if it acts up. Then trying a new CPS wouldn't hurt. Also look over the wiring and make sure nothing is rubbed thru. If you do all that and still have issues I'd try and run a KOEO test and see what pops up.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sometimes the wiring or ground can cause intermittent cps issues, as well as the cps itself.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i replaced the cps today. also checked all the wiring from the batteries. the truck started fine and i ran it around the block and no codes were thrown. but when the truck is idling it seems as if one of the cyilinders is hitting a little harder causing the truck to have a little more shake..now im gonna pop the valve covers off to do a visual inspection.... still dont understanding what coulda been popping
Old 12-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

popped off the driver side valve cover and the rocker arm for the exhaust front cylinder was lying on its side.... the two bolts that hold the rocker arm in place broke and the pushrod was bent... now i gotta get the bolts out the head and try to find some replacement bolts and pushrods.. anyone know where i could get some online?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

the pushrod to the intake valve was bent... and with the exhaust rocker arm being brokes neither of the valves were opening when i was running the truck...i know this isn't good for it but what are some of the other damages that could have happened..?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Replace both rocker arms, push rods, and check the glow plug for that cylinder.

Go to the international dealership to get the parts. Ford dealership will rape you on the price.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

im all back together and running great again.. i ended upi getting the parts from ford though. the company i work for gets a discount so it ended up being 3.65- pushrod 6.00-rocker bolt and 23.25 for the rocker arm...not too bad. thanks for the help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.