Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

injector down?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  351fifty 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Before I start background on myself. Marine Mechanic, little first hand diesel experience. Pretty well informed on how diesels work etc.

95 f350 with 107,000 on it.

The truck has been running poorly the last couple weeks and I have not made it a priority to really figure out the issue. Finally took some time this afternoon to see what was wrong. Rough idle, poor acceleration, typical sounds of a cylinder not running properly. When it first started becoming a problem I could let the truck run 15-30 minutes of driving and it would be fine, then at some point the poor running condition would begin. At this point the poor running condition is constant.

Took the valve cover off of the driver side of the motor and started disconnecting the cylinders 1 by 1. I forget how ford numbers their cylinders as I work on mostly GM, but it seems there is no change in the motors running condition when i disconnect the second injector from the front of the motor. I am strongly leaning towards either the injector being down or possibly could I be dealing with a wiring issue? I dont understand why now there would be an issue with the wiring harness. Its clean, no cuts or any worn wires.

Does anyone know of a way to test for an injector being down other than what I have done so far? I wish I had a spare injector to swap before purchasing one because I cannot imagine there is the ability to return an injector once it has been purchased.

Thank you in advance for any and all help

Eric

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll try and find a place to do that buzz test.

You can buy this one with 107k. It's been nothing but a headache. I had always wanted an OBS with a 7.3 for their power and reliability. Then I found this one with 89000 on it a little over a year ago and I thought I had it made. Sure enough I've had to replace the motor because the previous owner sold the truck to me with a crack in the block concealed with JB weld and nicely hidden behind the starter.

Swapped the motor with a donor of another 350. And now I've got an injector down, read main seal leak (which i replaced before installing the new motor),oil cooler leak and a few other leaks. And on top of that my old motor with all my spare parts is sitting in the garage of my not so friendly x-girlfriends house.

Thank you for dealing with my rant about this truck. BUZZ TEST IT IS!!!

#4 ·
These trucks rarely EVER develop rear main seal leaks. It's probably something else I'd bet.

#5 ·
Good luck with the buzz test, that would be a good place to start before buying injectors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.