Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cranking No Start

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  csdwarf11 
#1 ·
The title sounds like a common problem, but I don't know how to explain what happened to me in a short title.

The truck indeed cranked and didn't start, but what was different is how the truck cranked over on its own, I had the key out and was running for the 1/2 inch wrench to pull the battery terminals off.

So I have two questions.

1- Why didn't the truck start?

2- Why didn't the truck stop starting? (cranking over)

I had this happen to me once before, I got in my truck and turned the key, normally my truck starts up amazingly, no problems but this time it didn't, so i let off the key, it kept cranking for about 10 seconds and then stopped. I sat there very confused and then tried it again. Lucky it started, because I was at my grandmothers house and had no tools and would have been screwed.

The second time, it didn't stop cranking over after 10 seconds, it did it for about 2 mins while i scrambled across my driveway and into the shop to find the 1/2 wrench. At this point I popped the hood and 1 battery terminal was glowing red, I pulled it off and undid the other one.

The starter is fine, I did a second controlled test with a friend, and the truck did the same thing, this time we had it shut down in about 20 seconds.

My friend pull the trigger wire off the solenoid on the fender, and it didnt stop the truck from cranking over.

I had previous connection problems with my lower solenoid and while tightening the connection, i broke the little porcelain peice that separates the wires.

So i got a new lower solenoid and am going to install it when i get home, I guess my real questions is, Why did my truck not start when it cranked over for that long, it worries me that i'm going to get the starting procedure working again, and my truck wont start.

I had the key out the first time, so i figure that it wouldn't have been injecting fuel or anything, but the second time, i did hold my key forward hoping it would start, and it didn't.

The truck had been working great with zero problems

thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Like any engine, the starter only turns the engine; it doesn't make it run. The PCM and IDM make it run. When the key is not in the RUN or START position, the PCM and IDM are off. That's why a runaway starter from a stuck relay or solenoid will just keep cranking the engine without actually starting it.

Sounds like the crack on the solenoid is the source of the runaway starter, but disconnecting the trigger wire on the relay didn't really prove anything. If the relay were stuck, it would still be energizing the solenoid, even with no power to the trigger circuit. But I'd start with the solenoid.

#3 ·
It was the lower Solenoid like I thought it might be replaced it and now its fine, I think the high load of cranking was causing it to stick, but when the engine started, the draw dropped and it would unstick( i think this has been a problem for a while without me totally realizing it)

I pulled the trigger wire off to ensure that it was not the truck signalling to start the truck(computer issue)

Unplugging it did prove that my problem was in the starter circuit and not in something like the ignition key ect.

Probably didn't have to make this post, but i was really concerned that I would put the new solenoid on and the truck just wouldn't start, but lucky it just wasnt starting due to the PCM ect being shut down in the key OFF position.

Thanks a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.