Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

rough idle?? Help!

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  drummerjason 
#1 ·
I have a 97 7.3 Powerstroke i just bought in Oct. I noticed it was having trouble starting in colder weather so I decided to check my glow plugs. well I didnt have to get very far, I unplugged my 4 wiring harnesses on top of engine for the glowplugs/injectors and noticed the outer connections on 3 of 4 harnesses were burned up. so i ended up replacing glow plugs, relay, inner and outer connector harnesses and valve cover gaskets. I replaced everything but the outer harnesses (ran out of time) then I fired up the engine, it started running rough at that point. So then I finished a couple days later by wiring the outer harnesses, problem didnt go away. I thought an inner connector came loose, so to figure out which head it was coming from I unplugged each harness 1 at a time while running and the engine didnt change idle on the front driver side harness. so I pulled back off the valve cover and ohm tested all connections (everything checked ok). I did notice the 2 front injectors seem to not change idle when unpugged (both 1 at a time), and they make a clicking noise while plugged in I dont notice from rear 2 injectors that seem to work fine, then goes away when unplugged. If I unplug any of the other 3 harnesses the engine almost dies but not driver front. This is killing me cause all I did was make all the connections better. and yes I double checked to make sure I didnt cross any injector wires. any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.