Major issue need some suggestions HELP PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major issue need some suggestions HELP PLEASE

ok heres the deal just bought a 3rd powerstroke i got me a 96 f250 excab LB truck with 280,xxx on the clock i bought it not running its a 4x4 5 speed truck brand new clutch flywheel starter fuel filter cam sensor etc. tons of new parts put on by old owner they couldnt get it to start one day so heres what ive found out i pulled the dipstick mind u its cold and the trucks been sitting for about a year ill attach pics as well but the oil looks like jelly (i know fuels the only thing that gels on these trucks so im assuming it has gelled fuel in the oil ) now ive got the truck in the shop i can still turn the engine by hand but i need to figure out how to get this crap out of the engine any suggestions would be great i took a torch and lightly warmed the oil pan it helped the oil ungel alittle and it started flowing alittle the block heater is non exsistent right now ill order one tommarow but im trying to figure out if i can save this neglected powerstroke when i pulled the drain plug and oil filter nothing really came out just a little turtle head of geled oil see my pics any help would be great on what to do with this issue i got an amaizing deal on this truck i thought so im trying to save the engine it hasnt been ran one day it just wouldnt start so hopefully i can get the oil changed and it will fire (crossing fingers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Last edited by coalroller94; 12-11-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like they never changed the oil. If that's in the oil filter then it's probably all throughout the motor. Imagine what went through the injectors???

Pull a valve cover and see what it looks like too. Hopefully it all settled in the oil pan over the year and it will need a good flushing for sure.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:08 AM

I was about to say, I'm afraid to know what's in the HPO system . . .
You could get a LOT of thin oil, like a 10/30, and just fill, try to run, drain.
But I'm afraid you're gonna need to tear into the HPOP, clean it, as well as other oil system components.

Like you said, at least get it all heated up and try to get everything more liquid first.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:13 AM

yea ive got another hpop not worried about it im pretty sure theres fuel in the oil honestly just due to the fact of how gelled it is and with heat onthe oil pan it does start getting thinner and running faster im hopeing as well that the oil is all just in the pan i know lack of maitnence is a ***** but any ideas on what else to flush through the motor ive debated throwing some diesel 911 in the oil to see if it helps ungel it but i wont run the truck with it in there
Old 12-11-2011, 09:17 AM

o and uncer the valve cover doesnt look horrible honestly it looked like most of it all is in the pan the guy said he had checked the oil this summer and it looked fine becasue him and a buddy were trying to get it going story was he was driving it parked it one night next morning he went to start it and it would crank but no start codes for 3,4,7 injectors but he just started replacing stuff but didnt want to d the injectors iv got injectors im putting in it as long as it runs lol and isnt screwed
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Any update bud?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM

yea ripped the motor out it does turn over by hand but i didnt want to risk hurting the motor with that crap caked inside of it so i ripped the motor out and im tearing it down going to do a overhaul on it and have all the parts hot tanked at the machine shop crossing my fingers it gets all that crap out of there its definatly interesting ill try to post up some more pics soon
Old 12-15-2011, 01:36 PM

it should have a block heater but it may need the cord. plug the block heater in and that should get that old oil flowing. a space heater or 3 might help also. then just get 4 gallons of fairly cheap oil, try to crank it over a bit and possibly run it a few miles then put some good oil in.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:39 PM

yea that was the plan until i pulled the hpop resivoir and it the oil stood up on end and didnt fall over lol its some pretty nasty crap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.