Engine stutter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to freakyjlh
Engine stutter

Mine's a '96 with almost 200K miles on the engine. Just last week, the engine started lugging like it was not running on all cylinders. The check engine light will come on, then out of nowhere go out and the engine will run fine. I drove the truck around this afternoon and kept recreating the same issue. Then, went to get a haircut and it ran fine all the way to the barber shop. Came out, fired it up, and the truck literally limped all the way home, with the CEL on. I thought it might be the batteries, because after starting the truck, the batt level is down near the "8" line. Maybe alternator? From what I have read so far in different threads is that it could be the valve cover harness??? Already tried changing the CPS and no fix with that. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im very interested if you get some responses. my 97 just developed the exact same thing today. start up fine then cel comes on an it shakes and wont rev. it limps down the road, then light goes off and it runs fine. It seems to only do it after start-up until the motor warms up a bit. i was thinking maybe some type of sensor?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM

I keep a spare CPs and that didn't work. I think its the batteries. I charged them today and they are already weak. I looked at the valve cover harness an didn'tfind bad pins.so who knows.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check all your external valvecover harness connections for evidence of melting/burning. Also look to see if there is oil inside the connections (there shouldn't be and indicates the feedthrough pins in the gasket have gotten very hot). Take off the oil cap and take a sniff. If it smells like burned wiring insulation, you probably have some burned/melted under-valvecover wiring harness connections. If all seems ok there, maybe remove the Injector Driver Module (IDM) from below the driver's side hood hinge and see if there may be water in it (shake it around to find out). Cheers!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Still no luck on my end. I did notice that one of the UVCH connectors was covered in oil. I pulled it, cleaned up the oil, but it still seems to be leaking. Would this be the cause of my issue? I did get it running for a bit today, but then, as before, the check engine light came on and the stutter started again. I did notice something this time around though, the alternator is getting very hot. Could this be the cause of my issue?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, just figured mine out and repaired it this last weekend. My uvch connectors looked fine from the outside. I pulled the connectors and there was oil on one of the drivers side connectors. I took the valve cover off and where the wiring harness plugs into the cover gasket was just melted and fried to no end. Replaced the valve cover gasket and the one wiring harness that was melted and bam fixed runs like new.

Freakyjlh, I'd bet anything if you pulled the valve cover on the side that had oil on the connector you would find the same issue. bonus is I replaced the glow plugs while in there.

good luck...Pat F, thank you for the input
Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprincedog View Post
Ok, just figured mine out and repaired it this last weekend. My uvch connectors looked fine from the outside. I pulled the connectors and there was oil on one of the drivers side connectors. I took the valve cover off and where the wiring harness plugs into the cover gasket was just melted and fried to no end. Replaced the valve cover gasket and the one wiring harness that was melted and bam fixed runs like new.

Freakyjlh, I'd bet anything if you pulled the valve cover on the side that had oil on the connector you would find the same issue. bonus is I replaced the glow plugs while in there.

good luck...Pat F, thank you for the input
I think you have melted harnesses. They can look ok from the outside but be burnt up internally. You could tell if this was your issue by checking codes and doing a buzz test, but if you don't have a scanner then you will need to pull the valve covers. Look very closely at the outside terminals in each connector. If they look at all brown/burnt then they are probably toasted under the valve cover.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM

So Feeley, I pulled the oil capped and smelled it! Guess what I smelled? Yep, burnt wires. So then I proceeded to pull the valve cover on the passenger side and lookey what I found. You were spot on...so far. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Replaced the passenger side UVCH and gasket over the weekend. She is running like a champ now. Will be doing the driver's side over the holiday weekend, along with installing the new connectors. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good morning all. I'm new to this site, and I'm having the exact same issues, without the CEL. I will be looking into the UVCH, to see if this is my issue. I honestly hope that it is because I have been trying to figure this out for about a month now. I am really getting tire of throwing parts at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.