Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

leaking fuel pump?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  White95f250 
#1 ·
im getting a fuel leak in the rear of the valley. thought it was the banjo bolt, but it was tight. dried everything out and let the truck run for about 15 min while i was looking for leaks. i think i found a slight leak, not visually, but with a paper towel. seems to be coming from a small hole on the bottom passenger side of the fuel pump. does this mean that the pump has gone bad and need to be replaced?

#2 ·
There is a weep hole in the are you are talking about and if it is leaking its time for a new pump. If you are going to replace it yourself, do yourself a favor and take out the fuel filter housing and tie back all the various hoses and wires out of your way. It makes putting a new pump in much easier.....trust me. I would also replace all the hoses you can get to while your at it because if you don't you will regret it later.....once again trust me on this one I have made both of the above mentioned mistakes.

#3 ·
yea it's leaking out of the weep hole. I'll be doing this tomorrow. I just replaced all the hoses not to long ago with ford hoses. I got the pump and banjo bolt crush washers from ford. with a bad pump, would that explain the lopey idle at start up?

#4 ·
I wouldnt base my entire diagnosis of a lopey idle at start up on just the fuel pump. Alot of trucks including mine have a slight lope to them when idleing and from what I hear it is kinda par for the course when dealing with a mech. fuel pump however if it is really loping hard I would say a new pump might help out a little. Its just there are a lot of things that come after the fuel pump in our trucks fuel system that can cause a lope in the idle. When you change your pump out make sure you DO NOT I repeat DO NOT drop the plunger out of the bottom of the pump until you get the pump well away from the valley of the engine. When I change one I always reach under it and grab the plunger with a pair of angled needle nose pliers to make sure it does not drop into the the belly of my engine. If it does fall in there try to get it out with a magnet or something other wise you will have to slowly turn the engine by hand, and i mean slowly by hand until it falls into the oil pan. After it gets down there you can drop the oil pan and get it out. I have also heard of people dropping them and when they get it into the oil pan locking it in place with a giant magnet. The best sounding idea to me is to not drop it in the first place so be very careful and go slow and youll be fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.