Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Crank no start

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Patrick Feeley 
#1 ·
So the truck will crank but no rpms are read on the tach, thats telling me cam sensor i get that, but what is also bothering me is my wait to start light wont come on, the overdrive off light stays on, and the emergency brake light stays on with the key on, as well as i have no communication with the computer through my code reader that also does some data stream info too. so i dont think a faulty cmp sensor would cause all that crazyness. any ideas anyone? thanks

#2 ·
No WTS could be a shorted PCM fuse which also shares the IDM and fuel bowl heater on the same fuse. Bowl heater shorts out, takes the important stuff down with it :doh:
Unplug the heater on the back of the fuel bowl, replace fuse, good to go hopefully.

#3 ·
well i found maxi fuse 22 is melted and has 39 ohms of resistance so now i gotta find out why, i no longer have access to alldata or shopkey so does anyone else know where i can find wiring diagrams?

#5 ·
it controls the pcm power relay coil, fuel line heater, and glow plug controller

#6 ·
Underhood Fuse 22 is for the fuel heater as mentioned. For a 1997, on the driver's side of the fuel bowl there will be 3 wiring connectios. From top to bottom they will be 1) the fuel restriction sensor, 2) the fuel heater, and 3) the Water-In-Fuel sensor. You can disconnect the fuel heater by either disconnecting the funky-looking spade connector about halfway down the side of the bowl by prying it off (try not to damage the feedthrough part on the bowl because it's not cheap and a pain to replace) or by draining the bowl and removing the filter, then disconnecting the small spade connector on the inside of the fuel bowl). Replace fuse 22 and see what happens. Cheers!

#7 ·
yeah i could do that but thats not really fixing the problem haha

#9 ·
so i disconnected the middle wire going to the fuel bowl, cleaned it up, hooked it back up, and resistance was back down to .1 ohms and everything is good. thanks for the help!

#10 ·
I may not be understanding your problem, but the way I read it, be prepared for the fuse to blow again (and leave you stranded). You need to disconnect the fuel heater and leave it that way or repair the fuel heater element. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.