Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Double posting. glow plug separated. need help

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  STR8-6 
#1 ·
Hey all and happy Thanksgiving. I took the day to change out my glow plugs on a 96 F250 7.3L. When removing the second glow plug from the front on the driver's side, all that came out was the glow plug casing and the shaft is stuck solid in the hole. It's as if it welding itself to the bottom of the hole. I've pulled with needle nose pliers and no luck. Tried to twist it and it's not turning. Any idea what may be going on? Would it help any to turn the motor over? I appreciate anyone's help I can get here. At this point, my only option seems to be to go back with the case that covered the shaft but I'm afraid it may not seal well and leak.
I posted this under "911" but not getting any replies. Sure could use some expertise from some of you mechanics.
Thanks all.
Brad

#2 ·
good luck i had same problem two days ago but lucked out, my glow plug came out, problem was that the end of glow plug was bent due to extreme heat i guess. id say get a hold of it with vise grips or something with good grips and work back and forth. maybe some luck you can work it out, what ever u do dont let it go back in the hole. safest would be pull the head and take it out that way, youll have to if you lose it or break it. Good luck

#3 ·
Can the glow plug rod be welded to the casing? Not sure what each are composed of as far as metal composition. I can get a pretty good hold of it, but it's not budging. Just sprayed some "break free" down the hole. Looks like I may be pulling the head. If it comes to that, do you have to remove all the injectors in order to do that? What a way to spend a day off from work.

#4 ·
I'm sure you have already sprayed the crap out of it with penetrating oil. Sometimes you can get lucky and get them out. Clip needle nose vice grips on the end of it, the try and push it down into the cylinder. Once it breaks free you should be able to work it out. Seems like once you push it back down it helps break all the built up carbon off around it. This has worked for me sometimes. It's worth a shot, because if it doesn't work you should pull the head.

The only other alternative is to just leave it in there and hope it never falls in the cylinder, or pull the head.

#5 ·
Lay a heavy canvas or blanket over the area and turn it over... if no luck then put the peice back in that you have to prevent it from blowing out under load (and it will like a bullet if your rpm's are up) and reassemble truck. you wont notice one down hole and it will not fall in.

the other guys are correct, the only alternative is pulling the head

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.