Refreshed engine installed, not starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Refreshed engine installed, not starting

Hi all,

I bought a '95 SC 5spd PSD last summer (last running August 2010) with a blown engine. It's been a very long journey but I ultimately found a running replacement engine, replaced all of the seals/gaskets/o-rings/valve springs/oil filter/fuel filter/air filter, and just installed it over the weekend.

Now, when I try to start the engine it cranks strong (new batteries) but it does not sputter or fire or even smoke at all.

I had a fuel leak at the banjo (wasn't tightened down enough to crush the washers fully) and the fuel bowl is full, so the pump is working -- though the diesel fuel is ~15 months old at this point.

After searching on here I concluded my CPS may be bad as I did not get any noticeable jump of the tach when doing extended cranking. I swapped on the CPS from the other engine, and now the tach needle moves upward 1-2mm but no further. Is that how far it should move, or do I have two dud CPS's?

As far as lights go, I get the "Wait to start" light when I turn the key to ON, I get the fuel filter / engine temp / water in fuel lights when I first try to start (they go off after a few seconds), and I have the battery light on, though it goes dim during starting it is on throughout the entire process.

I opened the HPOP reservoir and topped off the oil (it was not full), and noticed no change. Oh, ambient temperatures during all of this has been in the mid 60s F.

What should I be looking at/for next? This is my first diesel truck so I'm not sure what to troubleshoot, I'm used to Japanese gas cars. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you drain your fuel bowl a bit and then crank some does it refill? also, when cranking, how much fuel pressure are you building?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will try that when I get home tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. The fuel bowl was empty when I started and within 2-4 15 second cranks I had fuel leaking out of the banjo fitting. At that point I unscrewed the fuel filter and the bowl appeared completely full (in fact, upon reinstalling the fuel filter the FB overflowed just a bit). I think it is generating significant volume, though I have no idea on the pressure levels.

I currently do not have any fuel pressure gauges on the engine (or any in my shop to put on), is this something I should buy and permanently mount somewhere? Any brand or type preferences?

I forgot to mention that the fuel pump is brand new from Ford, installed that with all the other filters/gaskets/etc..
Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't think it's a fuel pressure issue.

Cranking RPM should be around 100-200 RPM. If you're seeing the tach move while cranking then the PCM should be seeing RPM.

How long have you cranked it overall?

With a totally dry engine it will probably take 3-4 times of cranking it for 30+ seconds each time. It takes awhile for it to fill the HPOP reservoir and the oil rails in the heads. Normally you would take a scan tool and watch ICP pressure while cranking and see what it's building to. You need 500 psi for it to fire.

I'm guessing you have a high pressure oil problem that's keeping it from starting.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Overall I have cranked it 15-20 times, for approximately 10-20 seconds per crank. Since I filled the HPOP reservoir, maybe 3-4 cranks (out of the total 15-20).
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ya if you have a new fuel pump that should be fine. only thing left is the oil supply and the injectors firing. just for future knowledge, if you open the schraeder(sp?) valve right by the fuel bowl and fuel squirts/sprays out with some force, you have sufficient fuel pressure.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, definitely should have started by now. I would start with checking ICP pressure, although without a scan tool it's not easy. Do you have access to a scan tool?

Does the oil pressure gauge move up when cranking on it?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if the gauge moves, I can check tonight. I do not have access to a scan tool, assuming that is different than an OBD1 or OBD2 code reader, based on relative prices of "code readers" versus "scan tool" on NAPA/Advance sites. Will the schrader valve squirt/spray when the engine is not being cranked, or only during cranking?

Last edited by RedDawn; 11-22-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

You will actually use the OBD 2 port. Not sure how much your looking to spend, but for a scan tool it can be rather salty. Best/cheapest thing you could buy is Auto enginuity software, or as it's usually referred to on here, AE. It's a computer based program for a laptop. Enhanced coverage for fords is going to run you around $350.

If your just talking about getting a code reader it's not going to show you much besides codes if it even logged any.

You can try and measure ICP pressure by backprobing the ICP connector with a voltmeter. The ICP sensor has 3 wires. One is 5 volt reference, one is ground, and one is signal return to the PCM. You need to measure voltage on the signal return wire. .24 volts is 0 psi. .84 is around 500 psi ICP pressure. Figure out which wire is the signal return and measure voltage while cranking. If it doesn't get over .84 volts then it's not building enough ICP pressure.

And double check if the oil pressure gauge is moving up while cranking.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Since it's a mechanical fuel pump only when cranking. It might squirt a little when not cranking but it's just residual pressure in the system. I doubt it's a fuel issue because even with low fuel pressure they will smoke/chug a little when trying to start, unless you have absolutely no fuel pressure. Seeing as you're not seeing any smoke it's probably something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.