Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 won't rev over 2100 rpm

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
Got a 1998 350 dually just bought it and trying to get it running it'll crank and idle but it won't get over 2100 rpm I've changed computer checked the screen in the fuel filter replaced fuel filter injectors are getting fuel anybody got any help??

#4 ·
I've checked the oil it's full and it don't really rev it climbing to 2100 rpm but pretty slow and once it gets there it puffs white smoke dropped tank last night checked all that fuel pump and lines all the way to the motor looked good starting to get stressed

#5 ·
Could be:
Bad fuel, water in fuel, clogged tank pickup but you checked that, weak fuel pressure, possible injector problems, bad HPOP, ICP, IPR, IDM, TPS, and so on.

#6 ·
A '98 f350?!

Jesilvas above me hit it what could be wrong. Hook a scanner up to it.

#7 ·
My bad it's a 97 but flushed whole fuel system got fresh diesel cleaned everything in tank hpop checked out fine at idleing as far as pressure numbers swapped out the idm with another truck that's good. What would be the cause of the white smoke when it gets to 2100 rpm? And thanks for the help guys I'll check all that stuff tonight and get back and let you know the details

#8 ·
post this in the General 7.3 part of the forum.. not many people check this section so you prolly wont get many hits man. sorry I cant help more

#9 ·
are you getting smoke at all on startup? if so, what color? is it plain white? a little bluish? I'm thinking maybe a headgasket. Sounds like water entering the the combustion process at some point

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.