Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

fuel pump installed and no start??

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  POWERSMOKIN 
#1 ·
Just put a new lift pump on my 97big f250 and need info on how long it takes to prime this damn thing??

#2 ·
a while if you dont fill the bowl. Still, it takes a while. Take the filter off, and fill it with diesel, put the filter back in, and crank it a while. if it doesnt start, take the filter back out and look and see if theres air in the bowl. if there is, fill it back with diesel. Keep cranking (but never more then 15 seconds, letting it rest in between).

#4 ·
With all the pump replacements I've done, I've never filled the bowl and the truck always started right up (like nothing had been changed or drained). If the truck was actually run out of fuel, that would be different. Also, make sure that the IPR wiring is connected to the IPR (this gets left off a lot) and that underhood fuse #22 is good. Cheers!

#5 ·
a friend of mine changed his fuel filter and let air in. it died and we had to do the above. He may have not done it correctly, you never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.