Bad ICP? Or other problems? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad ICP? Or other problems?

Background on the truck. Truck starts fine and runs normal for a short time period and then starts to lope really bad at idle, just like this youtube video.

I just put rebuilt rosewood injectors in it (they were pretty worn already and was hoping this fixed the problem), but it was doing these issues on and off before the injector rebuild. It used to go away after running it a little while, but not anymore. It runs like crap and will pour white smoke like a freight train if I give it a lot of throttle. No codes flashing, but I do have constant issues with my battery light either flickering, staying on or completely out. So does anyone have any ideas on what to look for? ICP? IPR? I did change the CPS, but that didn't do a lick of good obviously. Uhhh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check your battery connections. If it's flickering or being inconsistent then you more than likely have an electrical problem.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Threw AE on my truck and only got one code. The AE has some problems and I couldn't view much or test much. The code was:

P0476 - Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range/Performance.

Anybody ever have any similar problems? Also, where is that valve located?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Charge light. Check the single wire (white/black?) on top of the alternator. The heater hose usually rests on the alternator and f*s it up.

White smoke.
When cold starting-glow plugs/GP relay.
When at operating temperature, either low compression or low fuel pump pressure resulting in incomplete burn.

How much have you driven the truck since the injector replacement? It takes some driving to get the air out of the HPO system.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
Charge light. Check the single wire (white/black?) on top of the alternator. The heater hose usually rests on the alternator and f*s it up.

White smoke.
When cold starting-glow plugs/GP relay.
When at operating temperature, either low compression or low fuel pump pressure resulting in incomplete burn.

How much have you driven the truck since the injector replacement? It takes some driving to get the air out of the HPO system.
Will check the wire.

Glow plugs and GP were done a year ago. Starts fine in the cold.

I have about 150 miles on the injectors, but it was doing this problem before the swap.

It was running really rough on start up yesterday, but eventually straightened it's self out and ran like a top. That's why I'm leaning towards a sensor, as it doesn't have a consistent pattern of f-ing up and runs great at times.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may want to check fuel pressure. If the pressure is low, the truck will stumble, smoke, and knock. Once the engine revs up it will build some pressure and right itself. There are no PCM sensors for fuel pressure, so it won't set a DTC or the check engine light. You'll have to hook a manual gauge to the schrader valve on the fuel filter. It should be in the 60-70 psi range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.