7.3 No whistle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
7.3 No whistle

Hey guys, this is my first post up on this forum but ive been watching for a while. You guys got so good help on here and better than allot of the other truck forums ive seen. I have a 1997 CC LB 7.3l 5 speed stick shift.The question i got is that i have absolutely no audible turbo whistle. Which at first sounds unharmful but i have a straight pipe exhaust and an intake and there is still no audible whistle. This leads me to beleive there is some underlying problems. Im not really sure how my power is compared to others but this lack of whislte on a straight pipe exhaust is kinda confusing for me. I guess it would be a good idea to see what kind of boost im pushin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If there is no whistle then you turbo is not spinning because at idle you should be able to hear it at the tail pipe so the could be the problem
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where does your exhaust exit and how are you judging that there is no whistle? If somebody is revving the truck while you're outside of it and there is no audible whistle at the pipe then there's a problem. If it's just you then I would place a camera at the exhaust exit and record while you rev it and let us hear it.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM

its got straight pipe stacks and trust me there is no wistle anywhere in the rev range and any sort of load. The only thing remkinisent to whistle it does is when its in gear(5 speed manual) and its over around 2000rpm it will make a vacum like noise. Also it feels like the same power nomader how much throttle you use.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM

check the turbo... do u have a boost gauge?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE RAT View Post
check the turbo... do u have a boost gauge?
no boost gauge but ill check the shaft play.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Are you blowing a lot of black smoke as well? Pull your intake off and look at your turbo wheel. And check all your IC pipe boots.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
Are you blowing a lot of black smoke as well? Pull your intake off and look at your turbo wheel. And check all your IC pipe boots.
im not blowing any black smoke whatsoever but ill tell you that crankcase ventilator put damn near a ****-ton of oil in my whole intake system. the compressor whell is bent slightly on one blade but do you thing its possible for the exhaust side and the intake compressor to not be connected in that thered be no force to compress air? im going to hook up a boost gauge tonite after i hit advanced. Any other thoughts? by the way ive burnt through over 2 qts in 300 miles and found a oil in the valley and around my power steering driver. Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Sounds like you have serious turbo problems. I would pop your down pipe off out of the way and inspect both sides of the turbo at the same time. Its rare BUT I have seen a turbo break its shaft and only half work (it was a turbo 2.3 gasser). How much blow by does your truck have? Will it blow the upside oil cap off pretty quick?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
Sounds like you have serious turbo problems. I would pop your down pipe off out of the way and inspect both sides of the turbo at the same time. Its rare BUT I have seen a turbo break its shaft and only half work (it was a turbo 2.3 gasser). How much blow by does your truck have? Will it blow the upside oil cap off pretty quick?
i havent tried the oil cap trick yet but. i have popped a boost tube of a gas car and it kinda feels like this truck, theres just like no variation in power on the throttle. by the way the shaft has some play but its not that much, one thing though is i can hear the compressor scrape the wall sometimes. itll make a little squiking sound. atleast i think its scraping the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.