Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 No whistle

21K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  85_305 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post up on this forum but ive been watching for a while. You guys got so good help on here and better than allot of the other truck forums ive seen. I have a 1997 CC LB 7.3l 5 speed stick shift.The question i got is that i have absolutely no audible turbo whistle. Which at first sounds unharmful but i have a straight pipe exhaust and an intake and there is still no audible whistle. This leads me to beleive there is some underlying problems. Im not really sure how my power is compared to others but this lack of whislte on a straight pipe exhaust is kinda confusing for me. I guess it would be a good idea to see what kind of boost im pushin?

#3 ·
Where does your exhaust exit and how are you judging that there is no whistle? If somebody is revving the truck while you're outside of it and there is no audible whistle at the pipe then there's a problem. If it's just you then I would place a camera at the exhaust exit and record while you rev it and let us hear it.

#4 ·
its got straight pipe stacks and trust me there is no wistle anywhere in the rev range and any sort of load. The only thing remkinisent to whistle it does is when its in gear(5 speed manual) and its over around 2000rpm it will make a vacum like noise. Also it feels like the same power nomader how much throttle you use.

#8 ·
im not blowing any black smoke whatsoever but ill tell you that crankcase ventilator put damn near a ****-ton of oil in my whole intake system. the compressor whell is bent slightly on one blade but do you thing its possible for the exhaust side and the intake compressor to not be connected in that thered be no force to compress air? im going to hook up a boost gauge tonite after i hit advanced. Any other thoughts? by the way ive burnt through over 2 qts in 300 miles and found a oil in the valley and around my power steering driver. Thoughts?

#9 ·
Sounds like you have serious turbo problems. I would pop your down pipe off out of the way and inspect both sides of the turbo at the same time. Its rare BUT I have seen a turbo break its shaft and only half work (it was a turbo 2.3 gasser). How much blow by does your truck have? Will it blow the upside oil cap off pretty quick?

#10 ·
i havent tried the oil cap trick yet but. i have popped a boost tube of a gas car and it kinda feels like this truck, theres just like no variation in power on the throttle. by the way the shaft has some play but its not that much, one thing though is i can hear the compressor scrape the wall sometimes. itll make a little squiking sound. atleast i think its scraping the wall.

#11 ·
From what your saying, I would say your turbo is toast. It should not be touching anything while spinning AND spin free and resistant free. If your shaft isn't broke you can have it rebuilt or just opt for the upgrade and get you a bigger/better turbo. You won't know for sure till you start inspecting things. Hope some one else will chime in here soon incase I missed something.

#12 ·
see it spins very easily, but im not sure how i can see if the wheels are connected because i can not touch the exhaust side wheel. i have the downpipe off and there seems to be no oil in the downpipe. so maybe the seal isnt broken and my oil leak is coming from somewhere else. what does it mean if my crankcase is venting too much?

#15 ·
im out in jacksonville fl. both the wheels are connected but i wasnt able to get a boost gauge. if somebody would like to come out to the beaches and check the truck out for me id appeciate it. im not 21 though so i couldnt buy ya beer;). im gonna try that crankcase trick and see what happens. would i get a check engine light if i wasnt boosting?

#16 · (Edited)
Here's the deal. Your bearings and maybe even the seals are shot.

The scraping is because the bearings are shot and the compressor flops around and surges in and out and pushes against the compressor housing.

STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!! The reason you aren't making any 'turbo noise' is because you aren't boosting. You aren't boosting because the bearings are shot. The reason you are sucking so much oil is because the seals are shot. Keep driving your truck and it's gonna run away on you and if you dont know what your doing, toast the entire motor. Replace the turbo NOW

#17 ·
Here's the deal. Your bearings and maybe even the seals are shot.

The scraping is because the bearings are shot and the compressor flops around and surges in and out and pushes against the compressor housing.

STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK!!!!!!!!! The reason you aren't making any 'turbo noise' is because you aren't boosting. You aren't boosting because the bearings and/or seals are shot. Keep driving your truck and it's gonna run away on you and if you dont know what your doing, toast the entire motor. Replace the turbo NOW
Im confused, what exactly are you trying to say?:dunno:

:hehe::hehe::hehe: J/K :poke To the OP, what he said.:nod:

#20 ·
hahaha are you the crazy ******* that posted how one of his generators on-post started running away and he threw his *** over the intake to shut it down?:rofl:

ok thats good to know since ive been puttin allot of miles on it. ill quit driving it. Now does the turbo just need to be rebuilt? beans has a rebuilding kit.

Or does the whole thing have to be replaced? What turbo is on the 97 7.3 powerstroke stock?

Ive heard that a dominator 66 or GTP38R are good turbos to run because im gonna be upgrading to stage 2 injectors soon.
Oh ya buddy that puppies gonna run away eventually. If the truck ever starts "driving on it's own" and you cant shut it down, drop it in 5th gear, pop the clutch and rail the brakes. Dont let off until you've stalled out the truck:thumb:

I would think a rebuild kit would suffice... but unless you have the bench to balance the shaft/wheels, it will probably end up a failure. If your gonna get a new turbo, then def get a d66. I know for superduties the gtp38r is a baby-upgrade, I'm not sure how it fairs on the OBS tho. But I know the d66 is a good upgrade

#19 ·
ok thats good to know since ive been puttin allot of miles on it. ill quit driving it. Now does the turbo just need to be rebuilt? beans has a rebuilding kit.

Or does the whole thing have to be replaced? What turbo is on the 97 7.3 powerstroke stock?

Ive heard that a dominator 66 or GTP38R are good turbos to run because im gonna be upgrading to stage 2 injectors soon.

#21 ·
The GTP38R wont fit your truck unless you change out the pedastal as well (the thing your turbo bolts to) The D66 is a great turbo, and that is a direct bolt on for you. Unless you have the time to check all the specs and balance etc... when rebuilding a turb, it won't last and then your back again with a broke turbo. I would just go ahead and get the upgrade. It is safe to run as well while you save money for your stage II sticks.:thumb:

#22 ·
^+1... do a d66 and stage II's and you'll be around 400hp and 800+ft/lbs

#25 ·
As long as you have a good clutch, I *think* you'll be fine.

#28 ·
I've heard of synro's going out in those 5spd trannies, But I really dont know man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.