Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

help with start up

2K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Gertrude 
#1 · (Edited)
ok guys have several questions,

1. when i start my truck for the first time of the day usually about 10am after sitting for all night, my truck is really hard to start and its only around 50* right now, it POURS out this white vapor/smoke cloud that smells like diesel, also my uvch has a wire that has come loose and easily pulls out of the plug, so i been told that could cause the problem and i wanted to make sure that could be the problem

2. my truck seems to shake really bad when i first take off from a light or stop sign, sorta like it has wheelhop, could that be some axlewrap?

3. sometimes the trans shifts weird like it has an extra gear or something, i know it sounds weird but it shifts pretty firm 5 times and i know our trans are only 4speeds with OD, and it shifts pretty early at like 30mph it will go into 4th i think, i'll drive it today to post up so more info on how it drives

4. after my truck runs for about 30 sec it cuts out really bad for a split second, and then maybe 10-15 sec later it will cut out again and most of the time will die, the wts light doesn't come on, but it will fire right back up and doesn't cut out again until i park it and shut it off again for about 5+ min, and then if i start it again, the process repeats, but the truck has to sit for at least 5 min for it to start acting up

5. another thing, my speedo acts crazy after about 40mph, it will jump to 70 and back to 40-70 and anywhere in b/w, so idk what is causing that, if that has to do with anything and what could cause that?

so some input would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Oooh. SOn, This is a UVCH problem. CHeck all your connectors and plugs. Take off the VCs and look at the connectors that go in the VC gasket.

#4 ·
the plug is bad so i dont think i have to pull the vc off the damage is on the outside so hopefully the inside is fine

Replace the uvch or plug. Wherever that loose wire is. That can cause a lot of issues. Also replace the glow plug relay. Or at the very least test it and verify your getting power thru it. If its not the same on both large posts with the key on whenever you first key on that is. Then its bad.
ok i'll pick up a new uvch and do the stancor mod, but ill test it first, pretty sure its bad
thanks guys

#3 ·
Replace the uvch or plug. Wherever that loose wire is. That can cause a lot of issues. Also replace the glow plug relay. Or at the very least test it and verify your getting power thru it. If its not the same on both large posts with the key on whenever you first key on that is. Then its bad.

#5 ·
there are two of those right? one on the pass fender, and one on the engine? do i test them both?

#9 ·
2. Sounds like a bad u-Joint or trans slippage almost. Not real sure.

3. The extra gear is the torque converter locking up in 2nd or 3rd

5. Clean the vss in the rear axle. It can cause transmission malfunction as well

#13 ·
2. ok ill check out the u joint, it did that when i had it 2yrs ago, supposedly the trans was rebuilt when after i got rid of it

3.oh ok idk that the t/c locked up that early i thought it was just 4th for OD

5. where is the vss located on the rear axle?

#10 ·
oh ok then idk that you could just buy replacement plugs, it is more complicated to just replace the whole uvch

#18 ·
no my check engine light never comes on, i thought it was burnt out, but when i first turn the key to on it flashes once for a split second
Idk what the vibration can be really. You just have to watch and see what's moving...

how can i watch if i'm driving lol
And I think the TC locks up in 3rd and 4th.
ok
Vss is in the top of the diff on the rear axle.
thanks

And yes you can buy those plugs with a small pigtail.
where do i got those

#16 ·
Idk what the vibration can be really. You just have to watch and see what's moving...

And I think the TC locks up in 3rd and 4th.

Vss is in the top of the diff on the rear axle.

And yes you can buy those plugs with a small pigtail.

#20 ·
If the CEL flikers that means theres a bad connection. it might be trying to kick on. if so that will tell ya the UVCH plugs

#22 ·
Be careful pulling the vcc they get brittle will be just a single bolt holding it in I like to have a spare one sitting by me just incase I break it. Just wipe the magnetic end off with a rag sprayed with carb cleaner anything stronger may hurt the plastic.

As far as the gp relay going to have to check that on dads 7.3 thanks guys.

#23 ·
well i got some crush washers from ford today and threw those on so i 90% confident my fuel leak is solved lol after 5 different places

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.