Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

96 powerstroke running rough.Help please!

7K views 58 replies 6 participants last post by  UNDERCOVER_73 
#1 ·
hey guys i need some help. i got a 96 f250 manual trannie with 276000 miles. it has been running a little rough, and has lost power.when it starts it smokes pretty good for a few minutes. when warm at idle its got a rough idle. and on the highway it just doesnt feel smooth anymore. without a load on it it still pulls hills pretty good but put just a small load on it and it lays down.i know i need to put a turbo on and that is on order but i dont think it has to do with the rough idle and smoke. everything is stock as in there is no performance upgrades,stock turbo stock size injectors. so if i could get some advice on where to start i would be thankful.

#2 ·
Blue smoke or black smoke or white smoke?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

#3 ·
Check UVCH connectors. Near pass and driver side intake man. If there burnt or crisp you have a problem.

#5 ·
yes valve covers. There new, oh ok. scratch that off the list.
How many miles are on the truck?

#7 ·
When was the last oil change? Sometimes I have seen them smooth out with an oil change.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

#15 ·
I have acess to a innova scan tool, cheaper one and purchased through oriellys, there is no check engine light. How do I check the injection control pressure and I can test the fuel pressure tomorow. What should the psi read for the icp and the fuel pressure.

#18 ·
With a snap on scanner I'm not sure, I've never used one. But you'll just display the ICP psi parameter, then crank the truck and watch the reading while cranking. You need to get 500+ psi for the truck to run. Double check for codes, there can still be codes stored even if there is no CEL illuminated. Then run a buzz test, once again, I don't know what the method is for doing this on a snap on scanner, on my scan gauge I just select the controls menu, select the buzz test, key on engine off, then start the test. It will buzz all injectors at once, then each one separately, listen for one that sounds weaker than the others. Run a contribution test, same deal there except key on engine running. Contribution test takes a lot longer to run and the truck needs to be up to operating temp, with the AC off. Run the test three times in a row. P1111 means it passed the test (ScanGauge displays P1111 after each test is passed, don't know for snap on).

#26 ·
I ask cuz i have a snap on. just seeing for the same tests.

Im having same engine problem, havent thought of fuel pressure.

where would i check this at?

#27 ·
On the side of the filter housing there is a schrader valve, that's where you test it. Now I did test mine it did read 40 to 50 psi but was bouncing back and forth between 40 and 50 fairly rapidly.

#31 ·
There will be some bounce but between 40 to 50 is too much bounce. Inside the fuel regulator assembly is a screen and a small tube filter screen along with orifices etc. A thorough cleaning and change the o rings , check the regulator spring. The spring can't be ordered at Ford supposedly discontinued. There are some sites that have the spring, but at $16 to $21 per spring plus shipping , not for me . I found a 5 pack of springs at a local hardware store for $2.49 , gave me 52 psi and I have 4 spares. Check out this link for a detailed rehab of the fuel bowl. This cleaning along with changing a weak fuel pump , put the power back in my neighbors '95 OBS.:woot:
http://dieselorings.com/docs/OBSFuelBowlRebuild.pdf

#28 ·
Oh yeah duh!. I dot think i have a tester tho. hmm.. what were your symptoms again?? got a video of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.