Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

another crank no start problem.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
Okay here I go. I have a 97 F-250 that the engine was working fine and then would not start. I followed just about every advice on this forum and still nothing. I was told that the injectors were shot including the HPOP, so a friend offered me a 96 PowerStroke and I put it in the truck. The replacement engine came off a working truck that was totaled in a wreck. I still have the crank no start problem. I changed out the CPS (3times), IPR, IPC, ECM and IDM with brand new items, not donors from the old engine. I checked continuity on all wiring and it is good all the way back to the IDM and ECM. I am getting white smoke coming out of the exhaust as it is being cranked, but still no start. I have changed out both batteries and installed a new starter, because I fried the old one. I had a old rancher come by and he told me the IPR was not getting signal. I checked fuse 22.
I am thinking this is a wiring problem because the same problem on my original engine is occuring on the replacement engine. It turns out the original engine is perfectly fine. I have ordered another ECM from NAPA because everybody is telling me that there is no signal being sent to sensors or information is not being received from sensors. I have tach reading while cranking, I have a wait to start light coming on and then going off as it should be, not that it really matters because I am in Texas and the weather has been over 90 degrees.

#4 ·
That is the CPS is pigtail that I didn't check for continuity, but I assumed that its working fine because I am getting a tach reading and changed the CPS 3X. I will say that there is virtually no oil pressure but getting alot of oil (volume) from the HPOP. The resevoir is only about 1/2-3/4 low. My concern is that I am having the same issue with 2 different motors in the same truck. I keep thinking its also the HPOP, but I keep thinking it may be a wiring problem with the truck because like I stated it earlier, same problem with 2 different engines on same truck. I already checked with the dealer and they want 145.00 an hour to diagnose and then they state that it may take anywhere from 1 hours to 8 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.