Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

No Start, No Smoke, Please HELP

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jmsmith76 
#1 ·
Hello all, the powerstroke world is all brand new to me but i'm learning quickly, just not quick enough.

I'm helping a buddy who just picked up a 95 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo that won't start. Previous owner said the engine just flat out died as he was driving down the road and wouldn't start from there on. It cranks just fine but no attempt to start and no smoke. It will fire on ether (glow plug relay was disconnected).

This truck has been to 4 different mechanics to have codes read with no luck. "Scanner can't connect". So no codes, no buzz test, no contribution test. We've check all related wires and fuses and can't find any thing wrong. The check engine light is NOT lit.

PCM was sent out to be tested/rebuilt and they said it was fine.
Injectors and glow plugs were replaced 3,000 miles previous to this problem. We have installed new batteries and a new fuel pump.
We've swapped out the IDM and CMP from a working truck. Both IDM's were 100A's from 95's, though I've heard this doesn't matter.
Fuel and filter is clean and i get 24psi from the pressure test valve on the fuel pressure regulator while cranking.
Oil is full as well as HPOP res.
Injectors and injector harness all ohm'd out to specs.
ICP, IPR and CMP wiring measured proper voltages (these wires were not ohm'd as i do not have access to a PCM breakout box).
All fuses and relays have been tested (not just looked at).
All attempts to start have been done with AND without the ICP connected.

What I believe we are down to is a faulty HPOP and/or IPR.
Does it sound like were on the right track?
Any ideas on something we've missed?
Any one know where we can buy or preferably barrow/rent a pressure gauge to test the HPOP?
Any one know how to test the IPR?
Any ideas on why we can't get a scanner to connect?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as he badly needs this truck for work.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check for power at the OBD port (pin 16, lower passenger side pin). If none there, check underdash fuse 16. If still no ability to scan, you may need to have the PCM flashed to a later program enable it. Has the WTS bulb been checked to see if it is good? If it is, you may need to grab an Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) and verify that power is actually getting to the PCM. Cheers!

#5 ·
IT LIVES

Well... its fixed:D:D:D..... mostly... turns out is the IPR was gust gunked up...
so its possible i had no codes as all electronics were working fine. Still can't get a scan tool to connect though...

Were guessing this was caused by some poor engine oil maintenance as the oil was disgusting when we picked it up from the previous owner and as I've read, the HPOP uses unfiltered oil on start up.

What we did was pull the IPR and disassemble it. I found a good link that describes this pretty well (a part of it loads funny for me though, the text is over lapped).
IPR Repair for Ford Powerstroke 7.3
(be extremely careful as there are very small parts in side it, i suggest disassembling this over a bin)
We then blasted every thing clean with brake cleaner (especially through all the holes). Finally, we lubed all the parts with clean oil, reassembled it and reinstalled everything, topped off the oil then tried to fire her up. :please:
Almost immediately we started seeing smoke out the exhaust which was a long awaited sign that we were getting somewhere. Had to keep cranking it for a few minutes (intermittently) to get everything re-primed then finally it fired up. :woot:
Once it got started it sounded like it never had a problem. Went out for a few drives, ran great and restarted easily.

As for the scanner issue, i haven't checked pin 16 in OBD port for power yet but all fusses are good and i do get 12 volts through all of them. I'm going to have to check that out and give the wiring a close second look.

Thanks you guys for the suggestions and I hope this can help someone else out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.