95 psd starting problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 psd starting problems

Glow plugs were replaced in April '11. Recently had #1 injector replaced after it stuck open and shut her down, ran awesome after the repair. Weather started getting into low 40's at night, began to have starting troubles, but it would fire up after a couple tries and would run great. Checked the new guy read thread and replaced the GPR after taking a bad reading off the multimeter. Checked HPOP, good. Replaced fuel filter, even though it looked fine. Didn't see anything foul about the bowl heater. Replaced a blown 10 amp fuse in the well box, but it didn't seem to effect anything. I can start her up after a short jump and runs great. Checked the batteries and the charge to em and it looked fine. WTS light does engage, but here's the weird part- if I read the GPR during WTS, the reading is good, but after the WTS goes out, the volts on the GPR are almost the same as what I'm getting off the batteries. I have not been plugging it in at night since I live in an apt complex and I would be missing a chord in the morning even if I could find access. CPS? IDM? Starter relay? Help?

I'm brand new to diesel, and to fixing anything automotive. I've got a few noob questions...
How do I check the glow plugs?
How do I keep the block warm if I'm out hunting in the middle of a Montana winter?
My suspension makes it feel like I'm driving a tank. Recommendations?
I replaced the pads on the front disc brakes in August cause they were starting to squeel. The new pads have been on for a while and they're still noisy as hell. Rotors look like they still got a lot of life in em. The rotors were cleaned and the pads are greased on the back. Ideas?
I'm interested in putting a winch on. Recommendations?
Any ideas for lighting solutions in the bed and for backing up?
Chain recommendations?
Any advice for transmission service? She's doing fine...literally no problems...but I'm wary cause she's nearing 150k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More info...
The engine will turn just fine, but now it's just turn the key and I get a "thunk". I don't think I've reamed on the starter to drain the battery but maybe I'm wrong. The battery readings are still good after the attemped starts.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the Wait-to-Start light and how long the Glowplugs are active have nothing to do with each other. The glowplugs will be on for up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is put to WTS. Have your starter checked out too. Cheers!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I pulled and replaced the cps and starter relay. I pulled the idm and did find a little bit of moisture. Just a few drops. I do wash the engine when I wash the truck so that must've been the how it got in there. I dried that up and plugged it back in. I pulled the batteries and had them tested while I put the new parts in. Both bats were bad. Replaced those and buttoned it up...AND FIRED HER UP!!! Running like a top again! If the bats fail again I'll know to pull and check the alternator. Thank you very much for your recommendations!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The reason why your brakes are still noisy is because the rotors are probably glazed, take them off and have the turned to make them like new again.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.