Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

95 psd starting problems

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tbuck6568 
#1 ·
Glow plugs were replaced in April '11. Recently had #1 injector replaced after it stuck open and shut her down, ran awesome after the repair. Weather started getting into low 40's at night, began to have starting troubles, but it would fire up after a couple tries and would run great. Checked the new guy read thread and replaced the GPR after taking a bad reading off the multimeter. Checked HPOP, good. Replaced fuel filter, even though it looked fine. Didn't see anything foul about the bowl heater. Replaced a blown 10 amp fuse in the well box, but it didn't seem to effect anything. I can start her up after a short jump and runs great. Checked the batteries and the charge to em and it looked fine. WTS light does engage, but here's the weird part- if I read the GPR during WTS, the reading is good, but after the WTS goes out, the volts on the GPR are almost the same as what I'm getting off the batteries. I have not been plugging it in at night since I live in an apt complex and I would be missing a chord in the morning even if I could find access. CPS? IDM? Starter relay? Help?

I'm brand new to diesel, and to fixing anything automotive. I've got a few noob questions...
How do I check the glow plugs?
How do I keep the block warm if I'm out hunting in the middle of a Montana winter?
My suspension makes it feel like I'm driving a tank. Recommendations?
I replaced the pads on the front disc brakes in August cause they were starting to squeel. The new pads have been on for a while and they're still noisy as hell. Rotors look like they still got a lot of life in em. The rotors were cleaned and the pads are greased on the back. Ideas?
I'm interested in putting a winch on. Recommendations?
Any ideas for lighting solutions in the bed and for backing up?
Chain recommendations?
Any advice for transmission service? She's doing fine...literally no problems...but I'm wary cause she's nearing 150k.

See less See more
#3 ·
the Wait-to-Start light and how long the Glowplugs are active have nothing to do with each other. The glowplugs will be on for up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is put to WTS. Have your starter checked out too. Cheers!

#4 ·
So I pulled and replaced the cps and starter relay. I pulled the idm and did find a little bit of moisture. Just a few drops. I do wash the engine when I wash the truck so that must've been the how it got in there. I dried that up and plugged it back in. I pulled the batteries and had them tested while I put the new parts in. Both bats were bad. Replaced those and buttoned it up...AND FIRED HER UP!!! Running like a top again! If the bats fail again I'll know to pull and check the alternator. Thank you very much for your recommendations!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.