1996 PowerStoke Oil Pressure problem Gauge??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 PowerStoke Oil Pressure problem Gauge???

I was driving my 96 F350 Powerstroke around, Normally the Oil preasure gauge reads on the M of normal, Sunday I took it out for a trip Noticed my gauge was at O on Normal by the time I got home it was on N of Normal, I checked my oil and nothing was on the stick. (My oil pan apperantly has a hole which is another issue) back to the oil preasure problem, I added 10 quarts of oil . I started the truck up and oil preasure guage is reading below normal, its between Low and N more towards low, The truck Runs great, Still has great power starts great. Did my guage go bad or did I spin somebearings? The truck really runs to good in my opinion to be bearings but who knows.

Last edited by 1996F350; 10-19-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

That oil guage is only a dummy switch. The guage only reads 9 PSI. So, as long as your truck is making 9 psi of base engine oil pressure, then your guage will come up. Its def not a guage to worry too much about. The nice thing about our trucks is that the oil makes the injectors fire( through the hpop) . If there's not enough oil to make the hpop create pressure, then the truck won't run. It still has enough to make sure the bearings are lubricated, but not enough to run, so it will shut down, and in turn save the engine.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I noticed on the way home It almost felt like I lost a injector but it went away and like I said I made it home,Im thinking the injectors might have been getting ready to shut down, i added oil and the injector hasnt acted up since, im just suprised the oil preasure gauge didnt go back out, Im going to try and put a manual gauge on it tomorrow Im just hoping its all good I dont like driving the truck with the gauge on low oil preasure.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

I hear ya. I did the same thing and tapped into the square headed plug right by the oil filter on the rib of the block. Normal oil pressure at idle when up to temp is 20 psi. Running when warm down the interstate and such is around 30 to 40

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.