Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wont start no smoke

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Txswampdonkey 
#1 ·
i have a 95 powerstroke F-350 dually 4x4 5 speed i pulled up to my house shut it off and the next mornin went out to start it and turned over fine but wouldnt crank, no smoke nothin would run on eather but not on its own, i checked the num 22 fuse it was good, changed the crank sensor, changed the hpop, changed the icp sensor, changed the irp sensor, changed the injector control module, changed the pcm, still nothing, i have tried to plug in two different scanners and all i get is, failed to link to computer. does anyone have any ideas or know of something that i havent thought of ? this thing is eating my lunch!!!! any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

#2 ·
How's the main oil level? How's the level in the HPOP reservoir (if you do need to fill it, does it just keep draining down after trying to start it)? Was Fuse #22 checked with a meter or just visually? Check Engine light on? Wait-to-Start light coming on? What's your fuel pressure when cranking? Even though the CPS was swapped out, is the tach registering when cranking? Do a real good check of the fuel bowl wiring harness as diesel fuel can really do a number on it and cause lots of issues. After that you may need to get a guage on the HP oil rails to see what kind of pressure you're getting. Cheers!

#3 ·
the main oil level is good, the hpop level is rite at top and stays there dont drain down, the new fuse in 22, no check engine light, wait to start light on comes on and goes off, dont know the fuel pressure, the tach comes up to 300or 400 when cranking, ive been working on these things a long time and never ran into this before its got mme puzzled

#4 ·
ummm if the fuse is good, mayhap the wire has come in two ? cranks but no juice to PCM ??

#5 ·
well im getting power to the pcm it cranks and is smoking now dont know what i did moved something i guess???? but still wont start it acts like i get power to the injectors for just a second when i first start cranking on it to make them fire once then it acts like it loses power again does that make sense?

#6 ·
Failed to link on both PCM's or just the new one? Swap if only the one. Change your fuel filter? May be clogged.
Did the ICP sensor have oil in it? The plug may be "shorting" out. Try shooting contact cleaner in the plug then leave unplugged then try to start.

#7 ·
well it has a new filter the plug on the icp is clean i checked all my connections im getting good oil pressure comes very quick while turning the engine over i took the fuel heater out of the fuel filter bowl as i live in new mexico and it is hot all year round is there any sensors that would cause this besides the cps? or is there any other wires that have the tendency to burn in two or something im missing thanks for all the advice

#10 ·
do you think it could be uvch? i wouldnt think both sides would screw up at the same time but this dam thing has me puzzled ill take them off in the morn and check them, my snap on scanner has the right cards and key just wont link up i seen somewhere on here it wouldnt work unless 95.5 and up is that true? ive never heard of that i will let you know what the harness looks like tommorow thanks for the advice

#12 ·
With all the parts you have replaced, I still come back to the glow plugs and/or relays. I know you are in New Mexico, but do you have a block heater? If you do, try plugging it in for a hour and see what happens. I have had trucks that wouldn't start unless plugged in, no matter the outside temp. If it starts after being plugged in, then I would be looking at the relay or glow plugs themselves. And yes, bad relays or glow plugs will cause a no start.

#13 ·
well i thought the same thing so i relpaced the glow plugs and relay and also left it plugged in over nite and still nothing jst tries to fire once and then nothingjust turnes over and over great oil pressure tach is coming up when cranking even gave it a little shot of eather fired on eather then quit i pulled the valve covers off and checked the harness and it all looked good all the connections were clean and in good shape i dont understand :dunno: im gonna take it to the ford house tommorow and see if theyre scanner will read it i hate to but im all out of ideas:crazy: if anyone has any other advice or knows of something else to try let me know thanks for all the advice so far

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.