O-rings!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
O-rings!!

K guys here is my O-ring install on my 95 OBS. I figured I would go ahead and take some pics for those of you that want to do it yourself. It's simple and removing the fuel bowl assembly is pretty straight forward. But here's the down and dirty on the O-rings and some stuff to watch out for and also common problems/leaks and where they come from.

Thoroughly clean everything along the way!

First off I bought the kit here for $8

94-95 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Fuel Bowl & Drain Valve O-ing Kit : Online O-ring Store, Great Prices Buy Every O-Ring Online from Metric orings, O ring Kits, viton o-rings, hydraulic, epdm, silicone, fluorosilicone, buna, teflon. Pool O-rings, O-rings W

^^This is what the kit looks like when you get it. I used all but 2 O-rings, why there were extras who knows.

^^FPR screen, make sure you clean it good. I removed it by gently grabbing it with pliers and twisting and pulling....again be careful not to damage it.

^^Don't lose this ball!

^^I also took a Q-tip to where the FPR screen sits just so I am sure it gets a proper seal and to remove any dirt.

^^Next is the FPR seen here. This is a good time to do the FPR mod if you'd like. Simply pull the spring out and insert the BB then reassemble.

^^Pretty self explanatory here. Make sure to clean this filter good too if you do not replace it.

^^Next is these two little guys. I did not plug the fuel heater mainly because this is just for a basic O-ring replacement.

^^Next is the Fuel bowl drain valve. To remove this just use needle nose to grab where the handle fits over. Gently twist and pull. You can see that the O-ring was very brittle and cracked very easily when I went to remove it.

^^Be sure to spray some cleaner in here to remove dirt like this.

^^Now replace these two rings, very simple to remove and just push right back in.

^^This is a common place for leaks. If you look at the drain hole you will see that there is a dark ring where gunk has built up. I used some cleaner and a wire brush and got it off. But there is more to this little hole....

^^Sorry for the blurry pic. As you can see in this picture the corrosion has started to eat away and little pits have began to form. I put a light coat of gasket maker on here to so it hopefully holds until I get a new fuel bowl. Pictures of why I need a new one are below...

^^Here's what broke. Ford dealership wanted $75 while the International parts dealer only wanted $9. You can see the crap that has collected in there too.

^^This isn't even half of what was in the bottom of this thing. I had to chip away at it with a screw driver. I got all the loose stuff out earlier, it was nothing but sand and dirt and a grey sludge film.

^^Now here is why I need a new fuel bowl. This is a common place for leaks as well since the corrosion will eat through the fuel bowl. You can JB weld it or simply get a new one if funds allow.

^^This is being eaten away at too.

^^All back together and cleaned up.

^^Assembled and done. Now just reinstall after getting new hoses and filter!

I do not take any responsibility for parts you may break by using this write up. I have automotive experience and I am just doing the O-rings to fix my fuel leak. More to come later! Hope this helps somebody!

Last edited by White95f250; 03-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Excellent job!!! Didn't even know there was another filter and screen......I'm going to order that kit and do mine too. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM

No problem, it's simple and just make sure to be patient and do everything right.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the pics VERY helpful info!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I ordered that kit for my 95 obs yesterday and a new fuel filter. After doing some searching, I also found this link that might help someone out too.

http://www.dieselorings.com/docs/OBSFuelBowlRebuild.pdf
Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 AM

That's an awesome write up! Post up anything that will help!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Small update, I can say the truck runs MUCH better now that the FPR screen has been cleaned and that there is no junk floating around in there. No more falling on its face at 2600rpm and it responds much better under boost. Fuel economy has improved and it is much better to drive under daily driving conditions.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Started changing the O-rings........got to the FPR screen but there is no screen part? Should I worry??
Old 11-19-2011, 06:55 PM

You should have one in there, therwise the return line orifice vent may become clogged with junk. If you need a new one, her's the part number:

Fuel Pressure Regulator Screen Kit
(Ford) F5TZ-9A214-A

Get it online from someplace like Tousley Ford Parts (most likely will be waaaay cheaper than your local dealer). Cheers!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Your local International dealer will be much cheaper for anything engine related too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.