3 dummy lights on and motor has a hiccup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fishnfowlr
3 dummy lights on and motor has a hiccup

Hey guys, I'm stumped here and need a little help. I have a '96 F250 with a 7.3L powerstroke. The engine temp, water in fuel and fuel filter lights are all on together and the motor has a hiccup. Engine temp is good by the guage, I've drained the water separator several times and have installed a new fuel filter, but the lights are still on. Every now and then they will dim or even go off while driving but light up again if I let off the accellerator or go downhill. The motor's hiccup is a lot like when there is water in the separator. It jerks as if the fuel is off for about a half second, then drives on as usual, but it's happening a lot more frequent and if it happens when I'm stopped, it will kill the motor. I've put a bottle of SeaFoam in the tank hoping it might help the injectors or take care of any moisture issues, but the fuel is fresh. Like I said, draining the fuel/water separator has no affect. The fuel heater is disconnected from a while back when it shorted and caused the motor to cut off. Haven't had any issues with it in over a year since I disconnected that. I did have an injector that had to warm up before it would work right. Is there a chance this could be injector related? I've had injectors go out before but never with all of these dummy lights on. What would cause all 3 of these lights to come on at the same time? Especially when I'm sure none of the lights are on for the reasons they should be. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brad

Last edited by fishnfowlr; 10-03-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cam positioning sensor. replace it, I just did mine, i had all the same symptoms
Old 10-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_PSD View Post
cam positioning sensor. replace it, I just did mine, i had all the same symptoms
Did you also have the 3 dummy lights I've listed come on and stay on (fuel in water, fuel filter, engine temp)? I've had the cam sensor go out before and it was instant, without warning and no dummy lights associated with it. It would restart after a while, but only long enough to get my butt back to the house.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those three lights are all specific to the diesels, and all on that same panel on the dash. AFAIK, they each go on by their corresponding sensor grounding when the sensor/switch closes. Gotta wonder if there's some sneak/short circuit in that panel making them all go on. If I don't forget, I'll scratch my head over that section of the EVTM tonight.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Those three lights are all specific to the diesels, and all on that same panel on the dash. AFAIK, they each go on by their corresponding sensor grounding when the sensor/switch closes. Gotta wonder if there's some sneak/short circuit in that panel making them all go on. If I don't forget, I'll scratch my head over that section of the EVTM tonight.
Thanks Madpogue, i need all the help I can get on this. Odd that I would have multiple issues all at once, but stranger things have happened. I can deal with the lights but the jerking/cough that the engine has is what I would also like to resolve. I'll check to see if there are any visible bare wires under the hood.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:03 AM

Well, the one time that all three light up together normally is when starting the truck. Yeah, unlike a lot of vehicles, the "bulb test" is the key in the START position. So when you first turn the key to RUN, before starting (key on engine off), those three should NOT light up. Then, when you twist the key to START, all three should be ON, and stay on until you let go of the key and it springs back to RUN. So if that's not what it's doing, it could be -- COULD be -- something with your ignition switch.

Does the oil pressure "gauge" work as expected?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Well, the one time that all three light up together normally is when starting the truck. Yeah, unlike a lot of vehicles, the "bulb test" is the key in the START position. So when you first turn the key to RUN, before starting (key on engine off), those three should NOT light up. Then, when you twist the key to START, all three should be ON, and stay on until you let go of the key and it springs back to RUN. So if that's not what it's doing, it could be -- COULD be -- something with your ignition switch.

Does the oil pressure "gauge" work as expected?
Unfortuanately, they don't all just stay on. After driving a short ways with constant fuel demand (level ground) all 3 lights will begin to dim and eventually go off. But if I come to a stop or drive downhill where fuel demand is less, all 3 lights will begin to brighten back up and stay bright until I repeat that same scenario again. All gauges are working normal. That's how I know the engine is not hot. The gauge shows it to be running on the cool side, as it normally does.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 AM

What about on startup? Do they come on when you first turn the key to RUN? What about while holding the key in START?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
What about on startup? Do they come on when you first turn the key to RUN? What about while holding the key in START?
I'll have to take a look at that after work today when I get home and let you know. Haven't really paid that much attention to it. I hate to go from memory because mine sucks, but I think all 3 lights are on with the key in the "on" position but don't recall if they are on in the "start" position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.