Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

97 PSD slow crank

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nccatfan 
#1 ·
Just bought a 97 PSD and it has 2 good 650cc batteries in it. Had them tested. It is very slow to role over all the time. No matter in the morning or if its is warm. Im thinking the batteries are way too small for the psd or the starter is dieing. What do you all think.

#2 ·
Yeah I have twin 850cca/1000ca interstates in my 95 and turns over fine. Thought I might need more juice too cause of plow,lights,and future elec. hyd. equip. I know interstate makes special high draw battery

#3 ·
These engines really need to spin fast to start. I learned this the hard way on my '97, my first PSD.

My original factory starter with 117000 miles on it barely moved the tach and I usually had to run the glow plugs and crank it for a while before it started. Even when the engine was warm and it was 80 degrees outside, it would not fire right up. The batteries and all the cables and connections, including the ground connection to the block, were excellent.

I put a Denso gear reduction starter on and it starts instantly every time now. I never have to run my glow plugs any more. I turn the key and it fires up instantly. Even after sitting for several weeks. Best mod I have done so far.

I picked up an actual Denso starter at a local auto electric shop. The big chain auto parts stores in my area did not carry the Denso.

There is a Denso STYLE starter available here. I was originally going to order one from there but I found one locally for the same price. I learned about that starter from searching the forum. Mine bolted right in.

Good luck.

#5 ·
First, get the correct batteries. 850 cranking amps at least. If it is still a slow start. Then it is your starter. Over time, these starters slow down. Replaced one with an advance auto parts one (with a lifetime warranty) and it starts up so fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.