96 Black Smoke & Funny Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 Black Smoke & Funny Idle

96 with 380k miles & automatic. Truck has ran flawlessly since I bought it begining of year with 330k on it. Here's the run down:
had a intake, 3" DP/4" Back, & Edge Programmer
Anout 2 montgs ago the FPR started leaking so i had it replaced since tgwn ever once and a whike the truck would idle funny once and a blue moon. for tge last w2 days it idles funny about 100rpm difference and rolls tge black smoke at WOT. tge truck never use to smoke at WOT
Everything i search seems fyel, but could this be a HOOP or cam sensor pronlem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Anyone? Went to crank today in 40degree mid day and it sounded like it waa running on 4 cylinders for about 3 secs with white smoke then cleared up. Only codes was intake temp (unplugged), battery disconnected code, and some boost sensor code. I couldnt get tge code # my son deleted em before I could get a pen

I drive over 5k miles a month and drive back to work monday a 1500 mile trip and really need to get her fixed before I go back
Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM

Wow, no one?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

just changed cam sensor and now it misses, stalls and pours white smoke when I give it gas. No codes except keep batt memory alive. I set tge trucj back to stock from tow tune and things are getting worse, someone please help
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm sorry no one has been able to chime in and help. I am not sure what is wrong with your nice truck. :-) but my best advice is to research the posts on here and fine the one that closest resembles yours. Also Google "1996 7.3.........“ and then your problem where the ....... is in that quote. That's what I do. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

My IPR O rings went to bad, causing some of the same symptons.....
Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 PM

How will I know if the O-Rings are bad? I've noticed a lil oil in the valley lately but hevent been able to see where its coming from

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide App
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My suggestion is to shine a bright light in the valley and see if that liquid is oil or is fuel. I thought I had oil there cause of the shadows other parts create.....until I shined a bright light down there and realized that the liquid was clearish in color and was diesel fuel. Might be time for a new mechanical fuel pump and hoses....or just hoses if they are dry rotted and cracked. Don't worry....its an easy job!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:26 PM

It's definately oil, previous owner replaced mechanical pump and all rubber lines from front to back and when "The Little Power Shop" (great place/people) in Bradford PA replaced my FPR he assured me I had no more fuel leaks even the lines going to the front of the heads have been replaced. It looks like clean oil, I'm gonna degrease the valley tomorrow and see if anything else pops back up

Sent from my HERO200 using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.