95 No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 No Start

I'm more familiar with the 6.0 than the 7.3 which is why I've come here. I have a 95 that has sat for the better part of nine months. The batteries were completely dead when I was looking at it yesterday so I hooked my 6.0 up to it for about 3 hours yesterday to get some charge back on them.

The motor will spin easily when the batteries are charged but it is not firing. I'm getting fuel into the filter, I've even tried spraying wd40 into the intake but I'm still not having any luck.

The truck started fine and I ran it for several hours back in May. Nothing has changed since then. Where should I start first? Trying to get it started and sold so I'm trying to put as little into it as I can. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

Is the tach registering a reading while cranking? And does it smoke?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to strokenit Send a message via MSN to strokenit
1st off i would pull the plug on the hpop reservoir...top front of motor...and make sure it is full. if not...fill it up and try again. and line nine6stroker asked...does the tach move when cranking...if not its your cam position sensor and it doesnt matter what you do it will not start if its bad.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 PM

You might also check the #22 fuse under the hood. It controls the PCM (I think), but also controls the fuel heater. If the fuel heater is shorting out (common problem on these trucks) and blowing the fuse, then the PCM won't get power and can't read the signal from CPS, thus the engine won't run. If the fuse is blown then just disconnect the fuel heater.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine6stroker View Post
Is the tach registering a reading while cranking? And does it smoke?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
The truck never really smoked before, and I'm not getting any smoke during cranking. I believe that the tach was moving, but I'm not 100% sure. I will check that tomorrow when I'm back at work (it's at my warehouse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokenit View Post
1st off i would pull the plug on the hpop reservoir...top front of motor...and make sure it is full. if not...fill it up and try again. and line nine6stroker asked...does the tach move when cranking...if not its your cam position sensor and it doesnt matter what you do it will not start if its bad.
I'm going to assume that it is under the cover just in front of the fuel filter correct? Also is there a "7.3 Bible" similar to the 6.0 one? That way I can answer my own questions in relation to locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drus View Post
You might also check the #22 fuse under the hood. It controls the PCM (I think), but also controls the fuel heater. If the fuel heater is shorting out (common problem on these trucks) and blowing the fuse, then the PCM won't get power and can't read the signal from CPS, thus the engine won't run. If the fuse is blown then just disconnect the fuel heater.
I will check that as well tomorrow! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Does the WAIT TO START light come on?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Well color me blushed and slap me on the ***. After 5 quarts of oil (no, you don't have to call me a dumb**** I already know) one blown up filter housing, and a couple of shots of ether and it's running great.

The motor was four quarts low and the HPOP had leaked down so I put a quart in the reservoir. Where those 5 quarts had gone from just sitting and no puddles under the truck I'm not sure because it was checked when it was parked.

As for the air filter housing...well lets just say three short shots of ether were a little too much. I found pieces of the housing about 35 yards away! So if anyone needs a little help getting their's out of the truck I'll be happy to help! :/ Anyone have one to spare maybe for a 95?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll just slink on back to my 6uhoh now and sniff the ether rather than use it!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to strokenit Send a message via MSN to strokenit
glad you got it running. sorry to hear you blew up your air intake...better it than you. i have a complete stock setup off my 96...was removed at 27k
Old 09-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Sounds like the only course of action is a 6637-based aftermarket intake....
Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 PM

I've seen people refer to that, but have never actually seen the details on the 6637 mod. Can someone point me in the right direction? Looks like I'll have to use the 95 to pull my 03 about a .5 mile tomorrow as it won't start for whatever reason and I need to get it back to some place that I can actually work on it, so I would much rather have a filter on it before I do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.