Powerwashed engine now big problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Powerwashed engine now big problems

94.5 was always dependable and ran perfect! Until i power washed engine. The joke is that engine had no leaks and was fairly clean. I need my head examined... But now i need your help!
Soon as i drove after power wash i noticed that the throttle response was different, lag between pressing peddle and engine power and idle was loping a little (about 50 rpm just enough to notice), she never loped previously and idled at solid 750. Took her for a drive to dry engine compartment... Stopped at red light, idling approx 500 rpm and loping. Went green, no throttle response, let clutch out slowly engine went down to 400 rpm, PCM reacted giving her an initial shot of 8-900 rpm, then settled back to about 600 rpm, shifted onto 3rd, rpm dropped then PCM reacted same as previous shift, still no throttle. Got her moved to parking lot, where she promptly stalled. Restarted her, idle was loping all over the place from 300 to 750 rpm for maybe 30 - 40 seconds then PCM gave her a full power shot to 1700 rpm, set CEL, and stalled. She started right up again but with a steady 500 rpm idle for several minutes, then started slow loping from 300 rpm to 500 rpm, this went on for 10 minutes, engine ran very smooth even at 300 rpm. Still no throttle response. Unplugged ICP, she stalled. There was water in the ICP connection, pulled the external wiring grommet and spayed electronic cleaner into the back, front of plug and into ICP sensor. Engine was at 190F so things dried quick. Plugged ICP in and restarted. No change... So i took apart other sensor plugs to clean and dry them... Found problem with IPR plug wiring that was repaired with silicone that had now failed. Cleaned IPR contacts best i could... Cleaned IPR plug, could see bare wires inside plug and put back together.
Restarted, idled OK for 20 seconds then couple of PCM idle spikes to 1000 rpm and set CEL on. Then idle settled down to the slow loping...
Figured i could limp her home as the PCM would keep her close to idle speed. Limped her home in 4th gear loping around 5-600 rpm for couple blocks, when the PCM starting giving her lots of fuel then abruptly cutting it off, pushed clutch in as thought it was going to break something, soon as i pushed in the clutch idle speed returned to normal 750rpm. Tried the throttle and it worked!
Drove the next 5 miles home with the 1 or 2 second delay in the throttle.
Hooked up Autoenginuity and pulled the codes... P0603 & P0237 are always present
P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
P1212 Injector Control Pressure Lower Than Desired (engine crank or run)
P0237 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Low

Took apart and cleaned with electronic cleaner the PCM plug and engine harness plug. No differance...
Cleared CEL and restarted, idled OK for 20 seconds then couple of PCM idle spikes to 1000 rpm and set CEL on, loping idle...
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low

Cleared CEL, restarted, pulled codes
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low

Looked at Injector Control Pressure, Injector Control Pressure Volts, Injector Ctrl DC volts and Injector Pulse width. Injector Control Pressure jumped right out as it was not changing as normal, it just stayed a 724 lbs unless giving full throttle where it would jump to 1825lbs. There was nothing between 724 and approx 1800lbs!
I am stumped? Could the goofy IPR plug be the cause? Will get a new pigtail and try... Noticed that the IPR body was loose when re-connecting plug, is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Electrical Ogre

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say fix up the IPR wiring and re-test. I'm thinking the ICP sensor may be hatched though, since if the IPR isn't getting any voltage it won't build pressure at all.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Angry

Changed IPR pigtail as it was shot...
However engine still sets P1280 code and sets CEL ON.
Checked ICP pigtail it looks good. Checked KOEO voltages on ICP pigtail. Get 4.8 volts to battery ground, 4.82 volts using harness ground and 4.8 volts to signal lead. So maybe wiring is OK and ICP bad????
Can't get ICP until next week...
Maybe ICP went bad same time as power washing, I hope!
Brown Bros Ford has big dedicated truck/diesel shop... They charge $138.00 for diagnostic, if breakout boxes needed then by the hour. At a cross road, do i throw parts at it or pay for the diagnostic?????
Advise please
Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 PM

Talking

Started her up this morning and all is well!
Well i dodged the bullet on this episode.
Ran AE twice and got P1111
She starts and drives perfect.
Lesson learned never power wash a 17 year old vehicle with 339,000 on the clock. Somewhere in the wiring harness plugs and connectors there is failed seal allowing water to enter and cause problems, even though i had taken all the plugs apart, drying and cleaning with contact cleaner. Somewhere the moisture lingered for 3 days...
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 AM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
You can power wash an engine if you are smart about it. Do not spray high pressure water on any electrical plugs. And keep the tip a good distance away. You are really better off just spraying degreaser all over it, the use a garden hose to rinse it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.