1997 f450 algea problem and wont read computer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 f450 algea problem and wont read computer

I have a 1997 f450/superduty that has about 115,000 on it 5sp 4.88 with dump/service bed and ran great (last 7 yrs)till I filled up and found algea in the fuel filter change the filter but as I thought it was sludge and I was on side of the road got home it ran fine. Went to restart it about week later and it runs about 45 sec slowly dies so thought needs a filter open filter and its solid black crap

I clean it all out of the tanks and notice the fuel line is full off it ran K1 in fuel line with seperate pump to clean the lines and then notice front fuel tank is real nasty in side so clean the back one and have not used the front one.
Still wont run seems to run out of fuel..... I checked the lift pump fuel pressure and it was about 15psi so I changed the pump and I am getting 60+psi at idle. runs great drive down the road for test drive and check engine light comes on and it dies just like I shut it off.

Well put try to restart but starter would not engage the siloinod gave up. I towed it home and had a tire blow out on the way (at this point I was real ready to burn it).

Let it set for a few weeks as I have other trucks and I am sick of working on this one.

Well put starter and tire on it and starts right up but dies just like I shut if off after 40sec, but runs great. Well get a diagonsitc computer and it wont read anything on it. yes I checked the computer it reads my other trucks fine.

Aside from burning it what would you do I am about ready to put a 5.9 in it.
Attached Thumbnails
1997 f450 algea problem and wont read computer-image_644.jpg   1997 f450 algea problem and wont read computer-image_580.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you replaced the CPS yet.They are prone to give this very symptom,runs fine and cuts off as if turning key off.They are fairly cheap and easy to install
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the lighter fuse in the cab. IIRC, it's the one that powers the connector.

As for your fuel issue, isn't there also a little screen somewhere in the fuel bowl you always gotta inspect when you have fuel-related issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.