Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

engine removal?

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  351fifty 
#1 ·
Sorry about posting this, as I tried searching and kept coming up empty. I have a '95 F350 C/C, 4X4, ZF5, and was wondering if I need to remove the whole front of the truck (grill ect...) to remove the 7.3? I am (finally!!) starting an oil pan replacement, and oil cooler gaskets.

Jason

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
When we removed the engine, we removed the whole front clip. Removed the ac compressor and everythingn attached to it, all the way to the box. That way we didn't have to crack the system and lose freon. Once everything is out of the way, it is alot easier to yank that sucker out of there.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bondsman. So, by front clip, you mean the header panel, rad saddle, grill and such? Then just move the condenser and A/C compressor out of the way. Or can I pull the rad, the clutch fan, and the one piece bracket that holds everything on the front of the motor and come out the top?

Thanks;
Jason

#4 ·
We removed everything.... That was just because we swapped engines/trannys. We removed fenders, fender wells too. All you could see was the frame then motor....

The a/c: We removed the condensor, compressor and the blower box as one unit. It clears alot of room.

Since you just want to yank it out, fix the oil pan, and put it back. Remove the hood, radiator, fan, disconnect the power steering lines at the pump, remove the a/c like I mentioned above, disconnect the electrical harness, unbolt the trans. bell housing, remove the starter, disconnect the downpipe from the turbo. Before you yank it out, make sure your engine hoist will handle the weight and lift high enough so the oil pan clears the radiator core support. I would remove the core support, grill, header panel, just so I wouldn't have to lift the engine that high.

It is pretty straight forward and always fun to pull an engine. While you have it out, fix the dipstick tube and go ahead and replace the oil cooler orings/gaskets.

#7 ·
The way Bondsman did it maybe a bit easier,less bolts to remove.You can leave the core support intact with the fenders and just remove the fenders from the cowl.And this procedure is made easier when the front wheels and tires are removed also

#12 ·
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can remove the entire front fenders, grille, header, rad support, condenser, fender wells,ect... all as one??? That would be awesome. If not I might just try to separate the front. I was going to lift it with my tractor and a 2 ton chainfall. Anyone see any problems with this either?

Thanks for all the great info.

Jason

#14 ·
i swear ive seen that pik somewhere before of the obs almost on the ground to pull the engine out, ever been on olderfseries.net?

#16 ·
i may have seen it from oil burners then, i dont usually go on there tho, not in a few years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.