Hello all! I picked this forum to ask this question and join because the posters here seem to be a lot more helpful and knowledgeable than other places I've searched. I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere because I've seen similar symptoms described but I haven't found a post that has an answer to what I'm seeing. Sorry if I missed it.
I just bought my truck in my sig a week or so ago so I'm still working through the issues. Here's my symptoms as close as I can describe them. I've never had a diesel before but I've worked on gas engines a few times in the past:
- When I start the truck, it usually has no problems but sometimes I have to try a couple of times even after letting the glow plugs warm up for 20-30 secs after the light goes out to start.
- The engine usually has very little power at first and won't go past about 2k RPM for a while. If I keep fluttering the pedal, it will eventually start blowing out white smoke, acting like a gas engine does when the plugs are fouled and spark finally gets through to the gas and clears out the gas in the cylinders. It doesn't seem to run any rougher when it has low power than when it's running correctly.
- As I start breaking through this level and the white smoke is coming out at 2k on up, the engine seems to make a louder crackling sound and will go to higher and higher RPM's.
- Once I break through and I can get to max safe RPM's several times, it will spool up to max RPM's with no delays and has full power back again.
- Once I clear out the system, it seems to start and run with no problem even if I shut it off for a few hours. The problem usually comes back the next day, however.
I replaced the MAP sensor because the shop I had look at it said it through out that code after they cleared the others. I've since gotten an Actron CP9580 and hooked it up but haven't seen any codes after I replaced the MAP even though this symptom is still here.
It has a new air filter, oil filter and fuel filter.
The truck is new to me so I haven't had a chance to see all the symptoms and when they appear or don't.
On a possibly unrelated note, the truck shifts into gear extremely hard when it's low on power and seems to shift in easier once it clears out but it may only seem that way due to the RPM's I'm at when it's running correctly. It's an automatic.
Can anyone help with what I should do next or point me to a thread that explains what's going on with the same symptoms? I hope I've listed all the pertinent information but I haven't started looking at any measurements on anything yet because quite frankly, I don't know what I'm doing yet.