7.3L max 2kRPM then clears out with white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 7.3L max 2kRPM then clears out with white smoke

Hello all! I picked this forum to ask this question and join because the posters here seem to be a lot more helpful and knowledgeable than other places I've searched. I'm sure this has probably been answered somewhere because I've seen similar symptoms described but I haven't found a post that has an answer to what I'm seeing. Sorry if I missed it.

I just bought my truck in my sig a week or so ago so I'm still working through the issues. Here's my symptoms as close as I can describe them. I've never had a diesel before but I've worked on gas engines a few times in the past:
  • When I start the truck, it usually has no problems but sometimes I have to try a couple of times even after letting the glow plugs warm up for 20-30 secs after the light goes out to start.
  • The engine usually has very little power at first and won't go past about 2k RPM for a while. If I keep fluttering the pedal, it will eventually start blowing out white smoke, acting like a gas engine does when the plugs are fouled and spark finally gets through to the gas and clears out the gas in the cylinders. It doesn't seem to run any rougher when it has low power than when it's running correctly.
  • As I start breaking through this level and the white smoke is coming out at 2k on up, the engine seems to make a louder crackling sound and will go to higher and higher RPM's.
  • Once I break through and I can get to max safe RPM's several times, it will spool up to max RPM's with no delays and has full power back again.
  • Once I clear out the system, it seems to start and run with no problem even if I shut it off for a few hours. The problem usually comes back the next day, however.

-

I replaced the MAP sensor because the shop I had look at it said it through out that code after they cleared the others. I've since gotten an Actron CP9580 and hooked it up but haven't seen any codes after I replaced the MAP even though this symptom is still here.

It has a new air filter, oil filter and fuel filter.

The truck is new to me so I haven't had a chance to see all the symptoms and when they appear or don't.

On a possibly unrelated note, the truck shifts into gear extremely hard when it's low on power and seems to shift in easier once it clears out but it may only seem that way due to the RPM's I'm at when it's running correctly. It's an automatic.

Can anyone help with what I should do next or point me to a thread that explains what's going on with the same symptoms? I hope I've listed all the pertinent information but I haven't started looking at any measurements on anything yet because quite frankly, I don't know what I'm doing yet.

Last edited by Graywolf; 08-07-2011 at 10:26 PM. Reason: To update symptom details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

96F350KID posted a possible answer :

Quote:
If you hold the go pedal to the floor....does it stubble at 2200-2500 then clear?? If so you have bad injector o-rings.
Is this the same symptom I'm describing? By 'then clear' does that mean that the symptom goes away and then it won't stubble anymore and runs perfectly?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you just need injectors. both of my trucks that are over 200k do it. The life span of these injectors are roughly 150k to 200k and then they need looked over.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Kanuck. I'm thinking about getting upgraded injectors anyway so I can get the most out of a chip (maybe a TS 6-position).

I've never dug into a diesel before though. How difficult of a job would that be to replace the injectors and o-rings? Is it something on the difficulty level of say, replacing a carburetor on a gas engine?

If I go ahead and have these changed, is there anything else I should change while I'm in there?

If it turns out that it's not the injectors doing this, any ideas on what it could be? I've seen similar symptoms that people said were caused by the IDM and a few other things but nothing with the exact description I'm getting.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hmmm how does the exhaust sound dies it whistle at all I almost ebpv is sticking also you can pull the icp sensor see it is filled with oil
Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I definitely hear the turbo whine. On occasion, I'll hear a quick high-pitched whistle (I notice it maybe every few minutes but not always). I don't have a feel yet as to when the whistle sound comes. It only lasts like a quarter-half second or so when it whistles.

I'm not sure exactly what 'right' sounds like though.

I'll look into the ICP and ebpv. I never heard of them until you mentioned them but the ICP seems easiest to tackle so I'll start there first.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Well ebpv you will hear very easy icp is also very easy to check you said all the fluids are up to date
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ICP has oil in it. I'll go ahead and change that and then see where I stand. Great tip Navydad.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Glad I can help
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Pull it and try to run the truck that will tell you for sure if it goes away bad icp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3l powerstroke, clears out, low power, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.